Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsknike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Right now I have a 1.67Ghz 17 inch powerbook with 1GB of ram. I edit videos with iMovie, but want to move up to Final Cut Studio. Other than that I listen to music, surf the web, and use pages quite frequently. I also like to use handbrake a lot but it just takes to long, to use with my Powerbook.

So I was just wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to a MBP with 2 GB ram 2.16Ghz. Also would the 120GB 5400RPM harddrive work fine with bootcamp and playing games? Thanks for any advise.

Also I can use the student discount as I am in college.

nsknike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Thanks for the quick response, but what about the hard drive and gaming in XP?

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
^^

it should be fine. i am also thinking about getting that machine (similar spec) and the hdd is one of the big points of question for me. it will be a great gaming machine.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
I would thing 120gb would be plenty and bootcamp will only get better:)
windows will work for gaming, but I would still use a mac version when available, osx is just sooo sooo sooo much better than xp, just limited games unfortunately:(

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I notice that you have a nice PC in your sig. So I would say no, definitely not worth it. Both of your current machines are very nice, and I can't imagine what you can't do with one or the other of them.

Now, if you sold both of them to get one MBP, that would make sense to me.

nsknike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Oh, I haven't updated my sig since spring break. I sold my PC during spring break, and if I do get the MBP I would sell my Powerbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.