MBP Very Slooow! *I DID Search!*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drew1204, May 29, 2011.

1. Drew1204 macrumors member

Hey,

I have a 15 inch MBP from mid 2009. I have 8GB of RAM from OWC and also a SSD from OWC 256GB. Just recently within the past week or so my computer has become much slower. You can imagine that it used to be lightning fast. It would turn on in about 10 seconds and now takes maybe 17.

Also, it seems to run hotter.

When I have apps open the I get the spinning wheel randomly or when I am doing things MUCH MUCH more and for a longer period and the computer semi freezes while the ball is spinning.

Copying documents / pictures / files etc. to the desktop used to take 1/2 a second, and now takes upwards of 15 seconds.

Sometimes the computer will freeze and I will have to hold down the power button to restart. Once restarted it will just show the apple on boot up on the grey screen and nothing else. I push the power button and then the computer instantly shuts off. I then turn it back on and it shows the grey screen with the apple, and then maybe once or twice flashes to a circle with a line through it. I have tried holding option on start up to select the Mac HD to boot but it won't show up.

If I let the computer sit for maybe an hour or so and try and turn it on it will turn on just like normal, but still in its slower state.

Things I have done and tried thus far:

Changed computer to run processor at full speed instead of power saving in system preferences.

I ran verify permissions and repair permissions.

I also verified my HD using disk utility.

Out of 256GB I have ~ 90GB free.

What else can I try / do? Perhaps I can take screen shots / upload logs of errors for you to see to help to make the computer fast again. I really appreciate it!

Andrew

2. superericla macrumors 6502

Could you take a screenshot of your activity monitor window showing processes using the most cpu?