MBP vid card failed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hankpac, Nov 28, 2013.

1. hankpac macrumors newbie

I have an older MBP, either 2005 or 06.
    It worked flawlessly until just a couple of weeks ago, when screen started showing a lot of digital garbage, and failing to open (boot up) correctly.
    Sometimes I could reboot, and it would be ok, for awhile.
    I got the hard drive taken out, but now, I have heard that I can get an aftermarket video card and replace the HD again.
    What card part do I need?
    I can get data from the bottom of the device, but do not have the ability to read the "about this mac" at all.
    I would really appreciate a big save here.
    I am traveling and am in Des Moines IA. The Mac store refused to work on it, said it was "Obsolete.
    When I get home, I am 400 miles from a mac store, or other parts source, so if you can advise a mail order and part number, please do so. Thanks very much.

Hank

2. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Yeah, without the exact model number, and specifications, no one will be able to help you. Sorry, but thats like me asking you which engine part do I need for my 05 or 06 Toyota Camry since its making banging noises. I dont know whats wrong, even if I do, I dont know which exact part is needed.

Some things that CAN help you with identification of machine and problem is trying to use an external monitor, if that works, then your GPU is fine and your screen is messed up (replace screen). If that also does not work, then your GPU is most likely messed up. Take the machine apart and pull out the GPU (ifixit you can approximately find a tear down) and then order a part like that.

But other than that, you can look up craigslist for a 3rd party Mac Repair shop that can help you provided you pay them $$$$

3. leman macrumors 604

Its a 8 years old laptop. I doubt you will still get any parts for it. Its dead, I think you should move on.

4. MacSumo macrumors regular

5. hankpac thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, I understand the issue of identification. I was merely seeking someone who could start with "look under the batery..." etc.
    I did get as far as trying a remote monitor, that didn't work. The Genius bar people said it is definitely the video card.
    So did an independent Apple purveyor. They pulled my hard drive, and put it in a housing for later use.
    It wasn't until I had that done that I learned I might be able to get a vid card and replace it, aftermarket.
    So, any help there.
    Oh, and yeah it's old, but until that vid card crumped it worked like a champ.
    and I don't have 2400 bucks for a replacement.
    I can get the card out, but who has aftermarket replacements, I guess that is the real question?
    Thanks folks.

6. dextr3k macrumors 6502

eBay is your best bet. Look for the part number when you pull out the old card.

7. leman macrumors 604

Are you sure you can take it out? I guess this is your model, the GPU looks pretty much soldered on to me. Even if its really removable, your best bet for replacement is a broken MBP of the same model, but with functioning GPU. I very much doubt that you can buy it somewhere still, the mobility X1600 hasn't been in production for years now.