MBP video crashing???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WingingIt74, Jun 18, 2014.

1. WingingIt74 macrumors newbie

I have an early 2011 MBP with 10.9.3 and the video cards crash and do really weird things. I never had issues with earlier versions or when I installed this one at the beginning, but now I'm lucky to go 2 days without having to do CPR on it to get it to come back alive. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

being a 2011 MBP, it may be the GPU failing, as that model is known to have issues and will fail.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Radeongate happened.

No permanent remedy for it, unfortunately :/

4. WingingIt74 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the cost of a new GPU? Will that fix the problem?

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You would need a new logic board because the GPU is soldered onto it. In theory, and assuming your warranty is expired, you should be able to get a flat-rate repair by calling Apple and mailing your system to them. I believe the cost is around $300-400.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That will only kick the can down the road as well, that is the problem is inherent in the design and so logic board replacements is just a temporary fix.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

While I don't deny this is a serious design flaw, one thing you can do to help delay the inevitable is pull the logic board when you get the system back and check how the thermal paste was applied and re-do it if necessary.

I've been extremely lucky so far in that my 2011 MBP is on its original logic board, and I'm covered by AppleCare until next July. If the system fails after that, I'll consider my options, though I have to believe that the supply of replacement parts will have dwindled to next-to-nothing by then.

8. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Maflynn is right. I had the same failure and Apple replaced the logic board only to have it fail 1.5 months latter (again). If under warranty and you push for a replacement noting the high failure rate (my Apple store acknowledged the 2011 issue), but I doubt you'll get a replacement on your first repair.