MBP Video stutter help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mav3rek, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mav3rek macrumors newbie

I recently started having issues watching video of any sort on my MBP. I have a 13" MBP from early 2010 with the 2.26 Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB DDR3 RAM. Video playback is starting to stutter, no matter what video I'm watching. The audio is fine, but the video struggles. I am running 10.6.8, and have updated Flash player to 10.3 to try and resolve the issue to no avail. Even videos shot on my iPhone played back through Quicktime in iPhoto stutter. I can't watch videos through iTunes either because of this stutter issue. Anyone else have this issue and been able to resolve it? The videos used to play back with out any problem what so ever. The video starts out fine, then hangs for about 3 seconds while the audio continues, then the video goes into a super speed until it catches back up.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It's either software or hardware. If you can play videos fine on a clean OS, then it's software. If you still have problems, then it's probably hardware.

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

Not sure what kind of videos you mean but try VLC. If that doesn't work it might be time for a clean install.

4. mav3rek thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried VLC and it does the same thing. I copied the video to a flash drive and then tried it on a PC and it worked with no problem. If I boot into XP using Bootcamp, it plays the video with no problem. There is something in OS X that's messed up and I'm not sure how to fix it.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Pop the snow leopard disc in there and do an archive and install, see how that goes.

6. mav3rek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll give that a try. That won't erase any of my data though will it? Like pictures, etc?

7. mav3rek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help! I did the reinstall of OS X and the video plays just like it should. I'm going to do all the updates later on and see if there is one specifically that caused this issue.

8. Detrius macrumors 68000

Come to ink of it, I've seen QuickTime 7 cause that issue.