Mbp virus protection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kat., Aug 10, 2010.

1. kat. macrumors newbie

Hey i heard its almost impossible for macbookpro to get viruses but its possible still?? I want to make sure i never get viruses or anything like that so do i need some kind of virus protection? I have a pc and it keeps getting viruses and getting fixed and getting viruses again all cuz im a comp noob lol . This is gona be my first mac..i just bought it on apple online store... And i wana do stuff like stream anime from random sites and my pc got spyware and totally messed up when i streamed anime and accidentally got tricked into clicking an ad..and i also wana download stuff from limewire and stufff like that..would it be safe to do that kind of stuff without protection on a mbp?? Had anyone even got a virus on their mac ??

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Anti virus is not needed on a Mac, unless you are in contact with a large number of Windows computer through email.

There are no known viruses for mac and a few cases of trojans. Don't download anything from suspect sites and you will be fine.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

wow this topic comes up alot.

Antivirus on a mac is a giant waste of time.

If you want to safeguard yourself from the few trojans out there in the wild (besides the fact that OS X will warn you prior to execution):

1. stay away from warez.
    2. treat your password like cash. If it pops up randomly, figure out why you are being asked for your credentials. If deleting something from the applications or another protected folder, or installing an application that modifies the system (like any/most adobe products, any system type utilities etc) then allow the process to proceed. If you can't identify the process, don't supply your credentials.
    3. While you won't "catch" a virus in the wild, be on the lookout for any apps that act rouge. check out reviews before you download.

Also see this primer by GGJStudios.

4. Xenophon macrumors regular

While I agree that there are no mac viruses in the wild at this time and that you won't catch a trojan if you act sensibly with your password, I'm running AV software and have it set to also scan for windows viruses.

The reason is I receive lots of documents on my mac from windows machines and although these can't really hurt me, I wouldn't want to inadvertently forward them to one of my contacts who also run windows.

Just saying that whatever the circumstances you don't need a scanner on a mac is a shortsighted knee-jerk reaction imho.

5. JCCash macrumors regular

Which AV software do you use?

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Not necessarily. Antivirus softwares install themselves in a specific way that could open potential vulnerabilities to your system (Otherwise they would be pointless). Moreover they impact performance in terms of speed and CPU usage.

A better way to manage the issue of forwarding from a Mac a file issued by a PC to another PC would be to use a webmail service like Hotmail or Yahoo, that scan attachments for viruses.

For the Mac itself it's pointless to have an AV software to protect from viruses that DON'T exist. Even if one was invented (which I don't believe will ever happen), your AV would be useless anyway.

7. Xenophon macrumors regular

Intego virusbarrier for Mac. It's not free but works unobtrusively in the background. I got a combo that also included a software firewall that's very configurable but which I don't use (I'm using the snow leopard firewall instead).

How's that?

8. kat. thread starter macrumors newbie

So if i go download lots of free music, watch stufff online with ads everywhere, and dowwnload stuff from places like piratebay then i will never get a virus??

Oh yea im actually gona buy my mbp today at the apple store in the mall woo :p

9. itripped macrumors member

wow.

You just described the internet, yet somehow felt it was an unneeded precaution. On top of that, you have no perspective on how important or sensitive this person's data might be. These are all things to consider.

Keep in mind that it's no longer just a function of the operating system. Now there are application virus vectors that might also come into play. Instant messaging, adobe vulnerabilities or Office macro viruses are examples. Is the mac immune to all of those too?

I'm not trying to fear monger, I'm hoping to just point out that it is a valid question and the right answer is not as simple as 'don't worry about it.' Some others have suggested the tools they personally use, along with pros and cons (ie. cost, system resources consumed, etc). In my mind, that approach is far more helpful of an answer.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac Virus/Malware Info

Not impossible. There simply are no viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X. That could change tomorrow, but any such news would be well publicized.
    There are no 100% guarantees in life.
    Download and install AVG for your Windows PC. It's free.
    Downloading is fine. The only thing you have to watch is installing anything, especially if it asks for your administrator password. If you actively install pirated or questionable software, you could also be installing a trojan. (See link)
    There were a few Mac viruses in older versions (Mac OS 9 and earlier), but there haven't been any for years.
    Everyone running Windows should have their own AV protection. It's not a Mac user's responsibility to protect a Windows user from viruses. If a Windows user isn't running AV, they have far greater exposure from other sources than just receiving files from a Mac user.
    Again, never say "never" but you can't get something that doesn't exist yet. If you install a trojan, that's a different matter. Read the link I posted so you'll understand the difference.
    If you don't actively install a trojan, yes. Office for Mac doesn't support macros.

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im glad I impressed you. The OP question related to virus protection for a mbp. I will say again but adding this caveat virus potection is not needed at the moment. There are no known viruses that can 'infect' OS X.

12. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I have set up a service to send files to www.virustotal.com to be scanned. This is a great solution. If I ever need to forward a document or anything to a windows user I will just right click on the file and choose this service.

13. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

It just slows your computer down. I don't understand why people still need anti virus on any computer mac or PC it's not hard to avoid them really unless you just go around clicking every popup you see and download attachments from people you don't even know...

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

so people who say it's pointless (for good reasons) are less helpful than those who run some sort of virus solution no matter how trivial?

Ok. OP, pony up for all these solutions and make sure you run them at the same time lol

ClamXav
    Norton Antivirus for Mac
    iAntiVirus
    avast! Mac Edition
    VirusBarrier
    McAfee Virex
    Kaspersky for Mac

now excuse me whilst I run with scissors

15. kaheiyeh macrumors member

Ditto. I've never used a single AV program, Windows or Mac. Never caught a single virus.

16. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

The question was whether or not he needed any virus protection and he also asked if we had ever gotten one on our macs. Replying with no and saying that we don't use any protection is a valid answer to the question.

17. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I have gotten no viruses. Just be smart about what you download on the internet.

18. spcopsmac21 macrumors member

Buying Virus protection for a mac is like buying an extended replacement warranty for a Big Mac with Fries.....Why?
    If Viruses were a major , or even a medium threat to Macs every major company out there would be pushing their version of Mac Anti virus.
    Its a waste of time and money.

19. JCCash macrumors regular

Perhaps some people just miss the old days of running virus scans and fixing issues.....

20. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

They should sell Extended Replacement warranties for ice cream cones.

21. Xenophon macrumors regular

I find that a simplistic argument but ok, I guess we'll agree to disagree.

22. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

No antivirus software necessary, so saying this Doof who has been known to occasionally go to some certain sites. :p

These common sense tips will protect you.
    1) Do not INSTALL anything if you're unsure of its source (such as downloading iWork from a bit torrent site).
    2) Do not INSTALL any video codec that some website insists you need to watch their videos. :p

Mac applications mostly don't require installs (admin username and password required) -- they are just drag and drop from disk image (or zip file) to the applications folder and that's it. That means, if you download some screensaver and it asks to be installed with admin privileges, think twice.

23. kat. thread starter macrumors newbie

okk thanks everyone for being so helpful !! i wont get virus protection then... but what if i want to downloaad something from an unknown source like on piratebay? is there a scanner that lets you check if anything bad is in the download thanks!!

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read post #12. Even then, I wouldn't install pirated software. There's no guarantee that there won't be a trojan included.

25. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I run norton and pretty happy with it, Just had some stuff blocked from my friends network yesterday when I was fixing his PC. It was most prob something it only effects windows.

Norton Automatically Scans your items when you download them, as well when you insert for instance a memory card or usb also.

Btw , I have caught a couple things that are trojans from piratebay.