MBP - VLC lags when running Transmission Torrent DLs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neenja, Jun 11, 2009.

1. neenja macrumors 6502

When I have Transmission running dl'ing torrents and watch movies or shows with VLC player, I notice a lot of skipping and mini lags. Does anyone have this problem? As soon as I turn off Transmission, the mini lags stop.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

That would happen if Transmission is writing lots of data to the disk or reading lots of data while you are watching in VLC.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Are you watching the movie AS SOON AS it's finished downloading? It might be doing a final check over the entire movie to make sure it's all there and not corrupted.

Open up Activity Monitor (Applications --> Utilities) and see what is happening under 'Disk Activity'.

And god...why does everyone bring up Plex when 'video' and 'lag' appear in the same post? Plex is a bloated, 10-click way (about 100 clicks if it's your first time) to watch a single video. Try Movist.

4. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

jeez, I was trying to help. I know first hand of videos vlc had trouble with but plex played fine for me. I think everyone brings up Plex because it's a great app. I do admit it took me some time to figure out (almost gave up) but glad I didn't.

5. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the replies!

I'm watching movies as the dl is going, not when its finishing up. I love VLC but its very annoying not being able to set my torrents to download while enjoying a show/movie.

I will try both Plex and Movist and see how that goes.

I hope vlc or transmission can fix this problem.. or is it just that Transmission lags anything?

6. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Happening to me, as well. It's just cuzz the HDDs are not manufactured for such heavy data traffic.

BTW THANK YOU for mentioning Movist to me. Never would I think there'll be 100% Mac-feel movie player. It's pretty amazing.

VLC is cool for watching DVDs etc but ugly not to mention the development for Mac OS is halted. Movist here I come! My new fav app. ;)

7. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I don't use transmission that much, but I've never had that problem and I'm sure I've watched movies and tv shows while I have transmission and a bunch of other programs running at the same time. Try installing a new version of both programs, check for upgrades. I've honestly never heard of this problem.

By the way, you're not watching the same movie you're downloading right? Just making sure…

8. jbuk macrumors regular

If you are watching files as they are being downloaded, then that will not work as BitTorrent does not download pieces of a file in a linear order like http does. If you're curious, turn on View > Pieces Bar in transmission.

9. iVoid macrumors 65816

Also, if you've finished downloading, stop the seeding while watching the movie.

10. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

i can be watching a totally different movie file that has nothing to do with transmission and it still lags/skips. even happens when i listen to mp3s.

so far movist works fine with no skipping

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

You are aware that you can right-click a movie file, do "open with" and choose Plex, right? That's a lot less than 10 clicks.