MBP vs. Asus M50 Architecture

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nbpt15, Aug 18, 2008.

1. nbpt15 macrumors newbie

I am a 2nd year student in an Architecture major who is looking at buying a new computer and can't decide on what to get. I have around $2,500 to spend and need a computer that will last me through grad school.

I am currently stuck between the MBP 15" 2.5 Ghz with the 72k hard drive

or

the Asus M50 with
    -Intel Core™ 2 Duo T7100~T7700 Processor, nVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS with 512MB VRAM (M50SV)

Opinions on the Asus computers because I don't know that much about them. Sugestions, rants, raves, etc. about either the Asus M50 compared to the MBP are welcome! I need help!

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're comparing more than the Asus vs the MBP. You're comparing Windows Vista or XP vs Mac OS X. Hardware is nothing without the operating system. However, if your major is Architecture, you may be planning to use AutoCAD, which only runs on Windows.

3. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

if you like the looks of the mbp and like OSX, then get the mbp. You can always put windows and dual boot if needed. Also, you can get the mbp for $2000 + $100 (enrollment) through the student adc program. Saves you enough money and you can purchase windows under the $2500 price limit you set.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. valvehead macrumors regular

That's funny. I know two professional architects who have no trouble running AutoCAD and Revit on their MBPs. The vast majority of their time is spent drawing lines and moving objects; GPU acceleration has little effect on that. Intense rendering is done on a workstation, not a laptop.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they're running AutoCAD on a MBP, it's in Boot Camp, running in Windows. AutoCAD isn't available for Mac OS X.

7. valvehead macrumors regular

Of course. My point was that the GPU has little to do with the majority of the work that architects do in AutoCAD. If the OP wants to get a MBP to use AutoCAD through a boot camped Windows install, it'll work just fine. The OP shouldn't be discouraged from considering a Mac just because it doesn't come with Windows preinstalled.

8. nbpt15 thread starter macrumors newbie

The ultimate question is - Can this MBP last through grad school with everything I am going to throw at it?

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, I think possibly not, simply because of the problematic nVidia graphics card in it will probably fail within 1-2 years or less. This has been a widespread problem; search these forums for details.

On the other hand, I believe your 9500 GS in the Asus is also affected, and wouldn't fare much better.

If you want to be sure to avoid this problem, you'll want a system with an ATI card.

If you want a Mac with an ATI card, either get a used MBP (X1600), or wait for the new ones to see if they use ATI.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can any laptop?

Things from this generation will be "obsolete" once new technology comes out. There really is no such thing as a product that's "more future-proof" if you're buying today's most modern technology. In 3-4 years, you're looking at octo-core laptops, Displayport, USB 3, FW1600, 2 GB solid state laptops, etc. Don't worry about obsolescence, because anything you get now will appear equally obsolete in around3 years, whether you buy a MBP, the new Lenovo W700 crazy monster-sized laptop, the top Dell, HP, Asus, etc.

Buy an MBP if you want it, although I'd probably wait until after September for the new, rumoured model.

11. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

There will not be octo-core laptops in 3-4 years. At least not in the MBP form-factor.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why are you so sure of that?

Only 4 years ago we were all waiting for the rumored iMac G5 to come out in mid-september that was going to bring the power of workstation (PowerMac) to the consumer ;)

13. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Not sure how that really pertains... but okay.

Why am I sure? Because quad core is only just emerging, and dual core has been around what, 2.5-3 years in laptops now?

And it's in only the heavy notebooks, and consumes an enormous amount of power, and has a lot of heat output.

Intel's roadmaps lead to 32 nm in the next couple years, but that's not enough for an 8-core CPU.

And to be honest, I'm not sure 8 cores will really be very necessary. Even 4 cores isn't by today's standards; most consumers are very happy with 2 (or even, one, tbh).

4 core is at least a year off, and probably 2 years off, in the MBP. 8 core isn't coming soon.