MBP vs "better specs" laptops

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by verduzco, Jul 28, 2010.

1. verduzco macrumors newbie

hello, I am looking into buying a new laptop and i have my eye on the MBP i5's or i7's. Ive seen rival laptops like the hp envy that have better specs and are a lot cheaper. I know apple products are always a little more expensive for elegance but is it worth the extra cash to go with a MBP. I want to use my new laptop for editing movies that I make. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What software are you going to use? You can get Final Cut for Windows so if that's crucial, then you have no option.

3. verduzco thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. right now I use adobe premiere on my desktop but i also know how to use final cut. Would an i5 MBP run final cut well? Ive also heard that you can get better performance from a mac with less specs than a pc with slightly higher specs because of the way the macs components work with the OS, is this true?

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Macs are generally more responsive and require less maintenance on the software side but is there any particular reason you want to switch to Final Cut? I've never seen the benchmarks but, for example: Photoshop on the Mac doesn't always run faster than on the PC so the particular app you are after may not enjoy the same speed advantage the overall OS has over Windows.

I would think that a quad core i7 PC would be better than an i5 or dual core i7 Mac if you don't mind sticking with Premiere.

5. Xenophon macrumors regular

It depends a lot on the software investment you already have, I think. Performance-wise there's better systems than the macbook pro for less money. I also have the subjective feeling that component quality in the macs is going downhill fast. But it looks nice and the OS is terrific. Is that worth the extra cost? Only you can decide. Whatever you do, add the cost for AppleCare to the cost of the machine.

Don't make too much of these so called performance gains due to an os optimized for the hardware. If you want optimization and extreme performance, compile Gentoo linux. Hardware specs remain the dominant factor.

In my situation and all things considered I'm not sure if I'd go back to Apple, knowing what I know now.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

As most have already stated, it's really a personal choice and dependent on what software you'll be using. I had originally looked at some of the higher end model PC laptops out there from Dell, HP and Gateway. While the specs on a lot of them exceeded my MBP 15", a lot of the reviews for these beastly laptops was hit or miss. Specifically with the Dell Studio 15", numerous people complained of bugginess with the hardware/drivers rendering their $3000+ laptop a turd.

I liked some of the HP units as well but, being a current owner of a DV9000t, I probably wouldn't get another HP again. My HP was quite buggy as well.

Although I'm a newbie to the Mac kingdom, I can definitely see some performance improvements with my Mac as opposed to my HP for example. Granted, the Macs are a smidge overpriced but I'm quite happy with my decision and heading with Mac.