MBP vs iMac 5K

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gui0312, Aug 1, 2016.

1. gui0312 macrumors 6502

gui0312

I currently have an iMac 5K It is a late 2014 with a core i5 (not sure on the ghz.), 8gb ram it does have an Nvidia card though and a 1TB fusion drive. My wife and I remodeled the home and we currently bought some new furniture for the living room and bedrooms and we don't really have any room for the small desk where my iMac currently sits. The extra room (office) I had is now going to baby #2 lol. I would be selling it to compensate.

That being said, how comparable is this iMac to a lets 15" MBP. I say 15" because I enjoy the screen real estate when doing papers, light photo edits etc. To have multiple windows open without straining my eyes. This will more than likely be a stay at home computer due to its size/weight. Thinking of a 12" MacBook for portability.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

15" MBP would smoke it. Far more powerful than the iMac. I'd say that's your best bet based on your usage.

We're talking ultraportability for the 12" MacBook. It's offensively thin and light. Not too necessary if it won't be getting carted around much.

Finally, congratulations on your new addition to the family (the baby, not the laptop :D)

3. gui0312 thread starter macrumors 6502

gui0312

Thank you!
    Yes the MacBook would be for school and caffe's etc. The MBP would be more of the home computer we share (what the iMac was).

4. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

The 15" would smoke it? That's a stretch. The 15" has far faster storage and more ram, so in general programs will be snappier. But the iMac has a more powerful CPU and GPU(though it has more pixels to drive), more storage (assuming no 1TB SSD) and more screen real estate.

That's a massive drop in screen size. There are nearly 4 15" rMBPs screens in a 27" iMac.

5. gui0312 thread starter macrumors 6502

gui0312

I don't need extensive CPU power for video work or heavy photo editing. I probably hardly use the one in the iMac now. I just need the space. I think you mean (2) 15" MBP in a 27" iMac , not trying to be a wise ass buy any stretch, maybe you are using some other rationale?

6. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I completely understand, and don't get me wrong, the rMBP 15 is a great computer, I love mine.

As for screen size, I didn't do any math. My thought was this:
    If you have two monitors (the aspect ratios being different between the iMac and the rMBP will skew this theory), one being 15 inches diagonally and the other 30 diagonally, wouldn't you be able to fit 4 of the 15s in the 30? I subtracted some for the fact that it's a 27", and arrived at nearly 4x.

That was my thought process.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Resolution wise, to use your terminology, there are about three MacBook Pro Retina 15 inches in a 5K iMac.
    2880x1800 vs. 5120x2880.