mbp vs iMac plus what student/other discount can I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whitespaces, Jun 27, 2009.

1. whitespaces macrumors newbie

Firstly, I know this is a daft question but I was thinking of getting a 15" MBP up until I went to Apple store today and saw the georgous iMac - I'm now torn between the two. Basically I know that answer is - do I want portability but in truth I will never take the mbp outside - I just wanted it to be able to move it around the house easily. Having seen the iMac though I might be willing to compromise on this as also - for the same £1500 money I could get a much more powerful iMac with 24" screen etc.

Has anyone got experience in having a laptop and then deciding to go with imac and which did they prefer?

Also - if i went for iMac I would need to be able to plug my xbox and pc to the screen if possible - is this possible?

Final question-I've read on the forums that you can get a student 'discount' AND free ipod on a new mac - however when i've looked at apple site it seems i can only get the ipod thrown in - no mention of a discount. is this right does anyone know?

Many thanks for any help.

2. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

Well, iMac is a desktop computer and Macbook is a portable computer. If you do not need portability, go for iMac for sure. It's more powerful and has bigger screen.

You cannot plug any external device to iMac's screen.

Maybe you should go for a macbook and buy a proper screen with hdmi/dvi/vga inputs. a TN based 24" HD display would cost you 300-400 usd and you can hook your whatever external device onto it.

You cannot get iPod touch thrown in if you're not using a student discount.

P.S. iMac's are going to be refreshed sooner than macbooks since macbook line has been refreshed at wwdc. We might see speed bumps only, or arrandale will arrive sooner than expected and we could see nehalem core cpus which would be a big speed increase.

3. whitespaces thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh right wel it looks like it's the MBP then esp as I already have an LCD 32" 1080P screen to plug it into - I was just thinking I could use my TV in living room if got iMac - but I'd still need to be able to plug other devices into that

Do you know how I can get a student account - I am currently studying an MSc in software development through the Open University - however I am studying this part-time and don't have an NUS (student) card at moment - though I can get one (or at least an NUS extra one) for £10.

Ahh, that's interesting - I just assumed that with the updated MBPs the iMacs had just been updated too.

Thanks for your help

4. Jamesthatcher macrumors member

YOU CAN hook your iMac to your xbox, you need to get certain cables, and i THINK eyeTV, i looked into it for my mac, however i was reading that you got a slight delay compared to a CRT tv and didn't pursue. Not sure about Pc screen, but i would guess it would hook up too.

You can get student discount, and free ipod if you have a NUS card.

Whether to get iMac for MBP, depends on how much you value power over portability, think out which would suit you better for what you'll be using it for.

5. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

Well, just print out a copy of the e-mail that they sent you, stating your name, surname and student id. Apple does not enforce a tight policy for you to prove that you're a student. (like an official letter from the school...)

Just bring your student id, or print a page that states you're a student. You'll be fine.

6. whitespaces thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like a bit too much faffing about to me esp the delay thing - that puts me right off. Think I might have to stick with the MBP.

I don't suppose anyone knows roughly how much student discount I could expect?

Many thanks for your help.

7. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/education_routing

just select your program and it'll direct you to the custom store with updated prices.

8. whitespaces thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great, thanks Anaxarxes. I think I'll have to call them as I don't have a 'uni account' as such as it is a distance learning course I'm doing - I'm still classed as a student though I believe.

Looking at the school discounts though they are quite substantial - I imagine the uni one will be the same. Over £100 off the mbp 15" - v good.

9. afters macrumors member

AFAIK, people attending Open University are still eligible for the Higher Education discount. Make sure that this is the discount you get, as it is usually the highest level of educational discount, sometimes giving £200+ savings, plus cheaper applecare and access to promos (free iPod right now).