MBP vs. iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kat.hayes, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I am considering a new iMac or Macbook Pro with an external display for my primary computer. I work with Photoshop, Premiere and AfterEffects. How do the specs of the new high end MBP compare with the high end iMac for these programs?

Thanks.

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Both are ideal for your work. If you do not require portability I'd choose the iMac.

3. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is the high end graphics card of the MBP as capable as the high end iMac?

Thanks.

4. leman, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

leman macrumors 604

Short answer: no.

Long answer: it probably does not matter anyway. Look at these benchmarks. The GTX 680 is only around 9% faster than GTX 650 for Photoshop CS6, despite it being around 3-4x as powerful in games. So fast GPUs don't seem to scale well for current applications. Maybe this will change in the future. Would be interesting to benchmark the new Pixelmator, they have added extensive GPU support.

Edit: After Effects might be a different animal, at least for some things. Look here, the GPU impact is much more pronounced.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say if you have some mobility needs the MBP is a great product and will serve you nicely. If the computer is going to be sitting on the desk all the time, then an iMac may be a better option.

I personally have a MBP just because it offers me the freedom to move around and travel with the computer, but your needs may be different.