MBP vs M1530

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darrvao777, Apr 29, 2008.

1. darrvao777 macrumors newbie

Obviously this is a Mac forum. I was interested in both laptops and interested in hearing what made people opt for a MBP over the M1530.

Ideally, I'd like to do the same on a Dell msgboard but I can't seem to find one.

So let's hear it...why a MBP over an XPS M1530?

2. McGiord, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. TheOnlyOasis macrumors newbie

Actually... the XPS M1530 is pretty awesome. The only downside, obviously, is that it doesn't have OSX, so if you're a big fan of OSX then there ya go.

4. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Why get the MBP over the 1530? I got it because I can install windows on the MBP and do everything the 1530 can and then some...

Granted, there are many options to add onto the M1530, but the MBP just does everything I need... and more!

5. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

A good Dell board would be over at Notebookforums.com or http://www.notebookforums.com/forum71.html for just the Dell section.

That being said the reason to by a MBP over the Dell is exactly what someone else already said: OS X. Yes, I'm sure there are a lot of features like a dock or an sd card reader or some other random thing one might use, but you're still stuck on Windows (yes I know Linux is an option) which means you have to either be stuck at 3GB of RAM or deal with the hack-ass M$-64 bit OS which all follow that stupid Program Files and Program Files x86 directory structure (Server 2008 and Vista x64 still do this).

I have found the 64 bit support in Leopard allowing me to have 2GB dedicated to the host and 2GB dedicated to the guest almost nets in native throughput for most tasks (simultaneous disk access is of course still an issue since I only have one platter, perhaps the Dell would have RAID).

I really like using OS X; I also really love the hardware/form factor/feature set and implementation of the features in my MBP.

So
    Great OS that they can't buy from Microsoft
    +
    Hardware panache they either can't/won't match
    =
    MBP>Any Dell Laptop

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I remember Apple use to call their Macs using part number names.

7. cmm26red macrumors regular

skyrider007 posted this a few months back when a young college student was trying to justify to his parents the extra cost of a MBP over a M1530. I realize so of these may not apply to your situation, however, some will and I hope it helps. I have a dell desktop and a new MBP. Needless to say, I will never purchase another Dell.

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

This may be the thread referred to in the previous post. Even if it's not, probably worth reading.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=431882

To summarize what I mentioned there: my wife and I own a MBP, and she was recently given a 1530 for work. We both find that the MBP is a superior machine ergonomically, aesthetically, and functionally. The OS X experience is better too, and I say that as a daily WinXP user on my main desktop machine.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Just for starters....

Final Cut Pro: $1299
    Avid Express: $3999

FCP: Mac Only!
    Avid: Mac and PC

Mac OS X: Mac Only!
    Windows: Mac and PC

Aperture works with ALL FCP apps and iLife apps especially iWeb and iPod syncing... it's Mac Only!

Lightroom only works well with Photoshop..... it's Mac and PC

FW800 port.... nuff said!

The features of Mac OS X are another story. Windows is a very capable OS that can do many things OSX can do and sometimes does them better, but those things I mention above CANNOT be done in Windows... and since the M1530 or any of the other beautifully constructed PCs out there can't run OSX I am stuck with the Mac .... not that it's a bad thing though :D:cool:

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Selling my M1330 for 15" MBP. Not that it's a bad computer or anything, but I just want to get a handle on OSX since sometime people want help with their Macs and I have no idea wth I'm doing.

Like some people I know say, If you have MacMoney go for the Mac. If not, get the Dell which with more than likely be cheaper for the same specs.

11. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i had the 1530 prior to the mbp 2.4.

it was a decent machine, but got very hot all around the bottom. the main reason it went back was dell tested it before shipping, and when i recieved it, it looked like someone used sandpaper all over the LCD.

why on earth would dell ship something like that to someone spending 1500$? who knows, and i dont care. give me my money back, ill go with another apple.

the mbp, has had the ac adapter replaced, thats it. best mac for me yet.

last point. if i kept the xps for a year or so and sold it, i may get 750$ for it. the MBP i should really get around 1500$ for.

MBP -> 2000$ new, sell for 1500.
    dell -> 1500 new, sell for maybe 750$

the mac community is a bit nicer when it comes to gobbling up 1+ yr old machines. the dell, well its not.

12. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I played around with the m1530 in future shop and I was not impressed. Look, quality and feel, the MBP wins hands down. They are not even in the same class in that regard.

13. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

I had the same options but chose the MBP because I think the quality is higher in build quality. The MBP also IMO looks super sexy :p And you can do everything on the MBP as on the XPS + you have the OSX option on top of that.

So if you can afford it its MBP.

14. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I'm a PC user who will be switching

These are the big reasons why I am switching...

1) Battery life

For whatever reason PC's just cannot seem to go beyond 3h of battery life with a separate graphics card. Moreover, with discrete graphics cards you usually end up with a stupid battery that sticks out of the laptop. I have that now and I hate it. Some claim it is great for elevating the laptop when you work, but it takes up way too much room in my bag. Part of the battery problem seems to be windows itself. Power management isn't as good as it should be. I can't tell you how many times I am running down at 20% battery life left and windows desktop search starts indexing my hard drive.

What sealed it for me was Christmas when I used my mom's macbook and the thing kept going for just about 6h total with light browsing. Mind you this is my mom's work macbook that she abuses quite heavily.

2) 1" uniform thickness. Why do PC manufacturers insist upon making some oddball form factor. Macbooks are a 1" thick and uniform. Nothing sticking out (see above), no wedge shape etc. If you haul a computer around with books and papers this makes a huge difference to how much you can stuff in your bag

I have many additional reasons, basically boiling down to poor QC by MS since XP was released (XP was a dog up until only 2 years ago). I am the type however, that the OS makes no big deal to me. As long as I can use MS office and Adobe CS3 either OS is fine for me. Right now Mac is making some really compelling hardware and a very nice OS, thus time to switch sides for a while. Vista is going to have to be rewritten from the ground up because it was rushed to market WAY to quickly after they scrapped their initial betas. While the OS itself is not that bad, I have a feeling service packs will not be enough to fix the performance problems. Even if SP's will do it, they are probably 2 years away realistically (the same was true for XP).

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This is the truth for a lot of sellers. I put my G5 on sale for $1500 and had interested buyers around town.... bought it new for $2000 two years ago and so far only upgraded the RAM and HDD.

Decided to keep it since I can get my use out of it by throwing some upgrades in it all around.

16. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

The three biggest things I look at in a laptop when I'm window shopping is build quality, keyboard quality, and LCD quality. I'm very particular about how a laptop feels and looks so I don't like cheap feeling plastic. The MBP is housed in a brushed aluminum enclosure which although can be dented if you're not careful it's still much nicer than any previous laptop I've owned and I've owned several. I'm also very particular about the feel of a laptop keyboard. Sometimes I spend several hours a day on my computer and I want something that feels good to type on with good feedback and feels like quality. Dell is getting a lot better with their keyboards now compared to the way they used to be but I have an M1330 I haven't sold yet and I don't care much for it's cheaper feeling keyboard compared to my MBP. Then the LCD is probably the biggest one for me. I have to have a screen that's bright with good color production for a laptop. If the screen is not very bright like a lot of the Lenovo ThinkPads or if it looks washed out and colors dull like a lot of TN screens used in laptops then I won't use it.

17. asmallchild macrumors regular

Great points.

Build quality? I'd say the MBP wins. As critical as Apple fans are, there are even more reports of Dell hardware issues in the M1530.

Keyboard quality? I wasn't a huge fan of my old Inspiron 600m keyboard which visibly flexed and offered plenty of creaking noises. I've heard this was vastly improved in the M1530 but again, we're still looking at plastic keys. (Not to mention no backlight)

Screen quality? This is a wash. There are plenty of rumors of MBP flawed screens but Dell matches that with their "grainy" screen issue. Don't know how they're 1440x900 LED screen is yet though. It's worth mentioning that Dell does offer a HD screen (non-LED) which could help you with your purchase decision. I believe MBP's only go up to 1440x900 (at least in the 15" line)

18. err404 macrumors 68020

OS X + Apple customer support
    Since it's a laptop, it's worth investing in Applecare.

Everything else is a bonus.

19. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

20. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Please do not forget that now there is a way to install OS X on a pc based machine and it runs extremely well. I've done it and many of us as well.
    The fact that you can get 1920x1200 on a 15" Dell is a HUGE plus imo, as well as the built in 3G card.
    If you care about the wow factor, get the MBP. It's a great laptop. I'm in a market for one, and am in a big dilemma.

Cheers.

21. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

lol excuse me while i go vomit.

anyway, the reason i chose a mbp over a dell/thinkpad was because i didnt want another windows laptop. its pretty much that simple in the end. if you dont care about the OS and have no problem with windows id get the dell because you can get more for your money.