MBP vs Mac Mini and an iPad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fluidedge, Oct 31, 2010.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Not sure what to go for here?

I have a Mac Pro but I don't need the power honestly. So i'm thinking of selling it and getting either a MBP (probably the 13" standard base spec) but i also like the idea of getting a mac mini as they're not bad for what they are and they have a larger hard drive and a iPad for portability/fun. I know the iPad is really just a toy but it could be cool for having at the office and watching a film etc.

Has anyone had a similar dilemma? What did you do?

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

iPad is no replacement for a full size computer. I have the MBP and the iPad and the iPad is really more of a Media Consumption device and just isnt a replacement for a regular computer.

3. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

I don't find that to be true. I use an external keyboard and write reports and then email them out for my work.
    While it is no replacement, it can do a lot of the basics..
    I think your second option would be great.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

If you can afford it, MBP and iPad works a treat. And if you don't have the budget, maybe a MB and an iPad? The iPad and MBP are both great machines.

5. miata macrumors 6502

Sounds like a MacBook Air with a large external drive for home might be idea for you. Sounds like you don't need the power of the Pros -- just the additional storage.

6. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I've already got extra hard drives from my MP and a RAID external HD enclosure so that'll all be good. I think I'm going to go for the MBP because I do need to burn CDs and I like watching movies from lovefilm so I need the disc drive.

7. miata macrumors 6502

You can always use an external SuperDrive if you need to burn movies.

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

If you have a monitor or want to start an htpc system, go for the mini+iPad. The mini will have a purpose long after it's specs are dated. You can screen share with the iPad, too.

I went from a 15" mbp to a mini htpc+iPhone and couldn't be happier. Of course, ymmv. I love having the mini as the home base and the iPhone as portable. The two interact perfectly!