Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcbobbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
Within the next couple of weeks I will be picking up a new laptop!

I just don't know if I want the Air or Pro.

I will mainly be using the device for web browsing and media consumption.

The minimal amount of upgradability in the Air scares me. I'd like to be able to upgrade the RAM is my needs change I am considering podcasting or streaming video in the near future.

I love the portability of the Air and I feel that even with the base 4GB of RAM, the SSD in the Air would be able to pick up on the speed lost by the slower processor.

I do have a 2011 Mac mini that I've upgraded to 8GB of RAM.

So, with all of that said, what do you think I need. I trust the brains and experience here in the forums and I can't wait to see what info you provide.

I have posted this in the Air and Pro forums to try and get both perspectives.

Thanks in advance.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
I think you need a 13inch mba with 8gb ram. You did not specify what kind of MBP you'd be getting so I assume the 13 inch as well.

The processor in the MBA is more than fast enough for your needs, and the SSD is an added bonus. The SSD is upgradeable via OWC although it is quite expensive.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
When you say ' Media Consumption ' what does it entail ? Will you be doing video/audio editing or just listening to MP3s and You Tubing ?

Either way, if it's just basic stuff, the MBA w/8GB RAM should suffice!

Bill Harr

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
I bought a 13 MBA as my first Apple product in November. Worked great for what you say you will be doing. I want to get into video editing and that is why I tried the MBA as an entry point. The wife's netbook quit so she now has the MBA and I am typing on a 15 rMBP. The air is lighter and for web use just as fast as the rMBP. I really like the bigger screen and speed when editing video.

Bill

jcbobbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
When you say ' Media Consumption ' what does it entail ? Will you be doing video/audio editing or just listening to MP3s and You Tubing ?

Either way, if it's just basic stuff, the MBA w/8GB RAM should suffice!

For media consumption I mean watching Netflix and YouTube.
Maybe some light work in iMovie or iPhoto, but I could do those things on the Mac mini if I need some more power.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
For media consumption I mean watching Netflix and YouTube.
Maybe some light work in iMovie or iPhoto, but I could do those things on the Mac mini if I need some more power.

The MBA is just fine for your needs then!! I'd get the 8GB RAM version, if possible.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Since you have the Mini for heavy lifting, the Air makes the most sense for portability. I prefer the Pro but I want one machine to do it all and use my iPad for portability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.