MBP vs MBA vs MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bchreng, Apr 22, 2015.

1. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Would a MacBook Pro be overkill for me? I intend to use it for basic web browsing, typing stuff up, paying bills with the occasional novice level photo and video editing. Is it safe to use it on my lap on the couch? Or would doing so block some sort of fan and cause it to get too hot?

The new MacBook costs about the same and has no fan, but a slower processor. A MacBook Air seems to offer a good compromise between the two, but I would prefer having a Retina display. Ports are a little important as I would like two USB (one for mouse and one for ext HDD for edits) a headphone jack and a memory card reader. Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, if you want a memory card reader and 2 USB ports, that pretty much eliminates the MacBook, unless you want to deal with adapters.

Either the MBP or MBA could easily accommodate the needs you described, without being too much overkill. Yes, it's safe to use on your lap, as long as you don't block the vents in the back near the hinge, or along the sides (rMBP). You don't have to worry about overheating, as all Macs are designed to throttle the CPU or even shut down to prevent overheating.

Compare Mac models

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Based on the needs you are describing, a Macbook will not be your best choice based off of the ports. Either the Macbook Air or Macbook Pro will satisfy all of your other requirements, of course if you need a Retina display, it would need to be a Macbook Pro.

4. bchreng thread starter macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Thanks for the helpful responses! I'll try a rMBP and weigh it against my current MBA and see which one I prefer more.

5. newellj macrumors 601

If you want to edit photos, the retina screen is a much better choice.

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

http://slickdeals.net/f/7811941-macbook-pro-early-2015-model-128-gb-8-gb-989-or-less-plus-tax?v=1

can be had for $989 brand new from best buy...current version. just FYI

7. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

MBP or rMB - MBA is totally redundant now with the release of the new device.
    Either the MBP or the rMB would be fine for what you need. Performance MBP, portability rMB.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

13" Retina MacBook Pro, by far Apple`s most balanced and versatile portable for the physical size and pricing.

Q-6

9. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I disagree on the MacBook Air being redundant... a quality Mac that has a small footprint and ports. The lack of Retina takes the price down.

The New MacBook is great for casual surfers and those with 'new and shiny' to justify as it as a main machine... then come here to complain. I would have one as a second machine if i needed it... but i don't. My second is Windows.

The MacBook Pro although powerful and maybe 'more' than you need now can be... well in Windows language, a bit more future proof as in it won't slow down so much over time. Also it IS PORTABLE, if you think its not your use to MacBooks not Windows. Try lugging my HP Slave around. :D

Watch the tears on here when the lastes OSX version slows down the rMB a bit more. Remember older Mac's are dropped from support because of time and low power. How long?

10. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

From what your uses will be, a 13" Retina MacBook Pro will suit you fine I would say.

11. newellj macrumors 601

The footprint of the 13" MBA is actually 8 square inches larger than the rMBP 13", which can make a big difference working at a conference room table with a group or on an airplane tray table.

The 4GB/128GB MBAs that are so common are in more danger from future OS and software development than the rMB.

12. John6Plus macrumors 6502

John6Plus

In the middle of the new MacBook presentation I texted my wife, "I just discovered my next Mac!" I definitely had technolust.

A week later i ordered the 13" rMBP. As my first retina Mac, the screen is breathtaking. Even an Apple Hater who frequently tries to bait me into arguments stopped in his tracks to gawk at it, and said, a little deflated, "Wow, that IS a nice display."

I'm sure the 12" rMB has a nice or (likely) nicer looking display, but the cost is otherwise just not worth it unless portability is super key for you. The new MacBook is ridiculously light and slim.

Now that I live with "retina" on my Mac, I would have a hard time recommending the MacBook Air to anyone, though minus the display they are still superior to the MB's in almost every way.