MBP vs MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danb93, Jun 25, 2012.

1. danb93 macrumors newbie

hi
    i am a student just about to go to university to study international business management and i am not sure what laptop to get. i will be using the laptop for essay writing and using excel alot. i am not sure what laptop to get i may be able to afford the basic RMBP but not sure if it is worth the extra money. I am also going to america in the holidays and not sure if it will be worth buying one out there than in the EU. however i can get about 30% the euro price. if i bought one from america would i still be able to take it to a UK apple store if there was a problem.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

What are the prices for base MBA and rMBP where you live? I know some counties have MBA prices listed fairly close to what the rMBP prices are here in the U.S.

I was on a thread yesterday where someone from Greece was paying 1450 euro for base MBA = $1800, that's not too far from the $1999 rMBP price here for students.

I personally don't think you need a 15", unless you really need the screen real estate, the MBA will be more than enough for what you need to do.

3. danb93 thread starter macrumors newbie

the price that i will pay for the base air model is about 735 euros or i can get it from the uk for £764
    the base RMBP is about 1600 euro's or i can get it from uk for £1619.
    or i could get either of these from the US but not sure if it will work properly here and if they would be cheaper.
    thanks for the reply

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I always figured Apple products were more expensive in europe in general. Is that 735 euro price for the 11" or 13" air? because that only comes to ~$920. The base air model here is $1199 and rMBP is $2199. If the base rMBP is only 1600 euro ~$1999 then it would be cheaper to purchase it where you live. I definitely think you need to check those prices, because £1619 is $2500 here. I doubt the base rMBP is only 1600 euros, and the U.S usually sells Apple products at the lowest retail, so it definitely can't be below the $2199 mark = 1762 euro.

As far as warranty goes, If you were to buy a product here in the U.S the warranty will be covered worldwide at any apple store.

5. photosaurus macrumors regular

In your shoes, I'd go with the base 13" macbook air. For your use, it would be perfect IMO. The only benefit you would get from the Retina in your usage would be more screen real-estate for giant spreadsheets. With the air, you get ultra portability, and better quality text in Microsoft Office (at the moment).

6. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I think that the base model 13" MBP is the best bang for the buck. I had serious eyestrain using the MBA so it was a non-starter for me...

There are currently some excellent deals on previous-generation MBPs. Many people won't gain much if anything using a new MBP vs. a previous-generation model.

In another thread an Apple repair tech who works for a university stated that they see a lot more MBAs come in for repairs vs. MBPs. He feels that the MBA isn't as rugged as the MBP when it comes to your average college student's use and abuse...

The rMBP is serious over-kill for an undergraduate student on a budget. If you need more screen real estate get a 13" Mac and a decent external display. The combo can cost less than a standard MBP and a lot less than an rMBP. That external display will come in handy when working with large spreadsheets and working on papers.

It isn't clear from your post whether or not you have taken into account the valuation of the euro vs. the U.S. dollar. It seems to me that if you can get it through customs and the Apple warranty will be honored in the U.K. that you can save some money buying the Mac while you are in the states. I see no reason why a Mac purchased in the U.S. would not work properly in the U.K.

7. danb93 thread starter macrumors newbie

these prices are correct and it is for the 11 inch air. they are correct because i live in germany and my dad works for the army, because of this i can get tax off which is 20% and the 10% student discount. as the prices are high for a laptop i don't know what to get but i am tempted not to get the retina as it is more expensive and i need to save as much money as i can for uni.

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Okay, then forget the U.S. With 30% it's cheaper in Germany. I would not suggest the 11" Air. It's very portable, but for doing a lot of writing, excel work and business management it might not be enough screen real estate. I would go to a local Apple store and check it out. If anything, I would suggest the 13" Air. The rMBP is expensive and is way more than what you need it for.

Go for a 13" Air, it will be the best fit.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's been a long time since I've been a student, but if I were one I'd want a MBA. It does what you need it to do and doesn't have the extra weight you don't want to schlep around all day. Plus it has a higher resolution screen than the MBP. I love the 13" MBP, but it's a tad heavy to carry around all day unless, maybe, you remove the optical drive, but then its a PITA to put back if you have to send back to Apple for a warranty issue.