MBP vs MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmacosx, Jan 16, 2008.

1. mrmacosx macrumors member

Hey,

I'm planning to get a new Apple laptop for school etc. I was going to get a MacBook Pro (base specs w/ edu discount) but the next day, Apple released the MacBook Air! I'm going to surf the net, Photoshop Elements 3.0, Boot Camp (Vista Ultimate) for OK gaming (CounterStrike, Driv3r, NFS: ProStreet ) and, of course, do work on it. I can do most of that on my MacBook, but for gaming, the GMA 950 just doesn't cut it. Will the MacBook Air's X3100 do CS and ProStreet well without lagging? Or will the MBP's NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM do it, or must I upgrade to the 256MB SDRAM to play the games (w/o lag of course). ProStreet lags a bit on my Sony VAIO SZ (Nvidia GeForce Go 7400 w/ 128MB VRAM)... Is the GeForce 8600M better than the Go 7400... and should I get the Air or the MBP??? Thanks!

mrmacosx

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

For gaming you shouldn't be looking at the MacBook Air. As for the 2 options in the MBP, you'll have to ask someone else, not sure what the performance benefit will be.

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

That's a lot of questions, and a bit too soon after the release.

You might need to wait a few weeks at least until people have the computers, and then a bit longer until people experience problems (or not) playing games on the PC side. It might be a little hard for people to give you this kind of detailed feedback just hours after the release of a new piece of hardware.

4. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I actually think that the Macbook Air is very much a niche product. The Macbook now has the same graphics capabilities as the Air...

The way I see it, the Air is intended for business users (not creative Pros) and as an accompaniment to another Mac (Imac or Mac Pro). If I were you I'd discount the Macbook Air, as it has no inbuilt CD/DVD drive.

I'm not sure but I imagine because the Macbook isn't as thin it will have a faster hard drive and expandable RAM.

The Macbook is much Cheaper (Macbook Pro - better for games)!!!

amiga ;)

5. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

MBP without any second thought,

the only advantage that the MBA has is only the thinner case and multi-touch TrackPad

other than that, MBP kills off MBA anytime

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

you have a MB already, so i'd say get a dell or something for gaming.

7. G.I. Joe macrumors regular

G.I. Joe

What is there to compare?

Two complete different products, targets and worlds.

The graphics card is the same as the macbook, so if doesn't work for you there it won't work in the Air too imo.

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Funny I had a 2.4 MBP and could not stand the keyboard the latch or the screen, I bought a macbook and love it, now bought a Air.....and I am sure i will love this too the Macbook is old.....and needs a update....badly

9. thies macrumors regular

agreed. give the MB a lowend dedicated GPU, DVD Burner on all models and LCD backlighting. Oh, and fix the design flaw with the crumbling wristrests.

10. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

What was wrong with the MBP screen and how is the Macbook screen better?

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Apples vs Oranges really - such different products.

If it was me, with your requirements, I'd be all over the MBP.