MBP vs. MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmkarim, Oct 19, 2008.

1. kmkarim macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I realise they are a few topoics on issues like these but I couldnt find an answer to this.

So I am picking up a macbook pro tomorrow and I have two options:
    Midrange previous macbook pro (8600M) for 1800 or
    Macbook pro (9600M) for 2000.

I am going to be using it for video editing, gaming (COD4, some crysis etc.), basicially its my main machine. I realise the older machine has more ports but would it be worth paying 200 more for a slightly slower processor and faster video card?

Thanks.

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I have a midrange previous MBP right now and it doesn't run COD4 at full graphics well at all. Keep in mind my computer has been running slowly, but that might be an opinion that sways you away from it.

3. Hydroxs macrumors regular

I play cod4 on the 8600m gt and it runs fine at 1440x900 with high textures and most settings on.

4. kmkarim thread starter macrumors newbie

Hrm I guess what i should be asking is, if im playing games in windows will I get better preformance from the new low end macbook pro or mid range old macbook pro. Also has anyone played crysis on these laptops or know if FarCry 2 will run well?

Thanks again.

5. secretpact macrumors 6502

I have a low range last-gen MBP, 2.4Ghz GeForce 8600M GT, 2GB RAM (this is the stock specs for the low end MBP last gen). CoD4 runs good. Crysis is playable as well, though I thought that game kind of sucked.

6. Nate025 macrumors regular

Crysis on a new 2.53 mbp. It's the closest I could find. Hope this helps you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rfHSDgibgo

7. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Dont expect to run crysis at 1440x900 max out. Run it at a lower res and you be fine.

8. Coldwater macrumors member

I wouldn't want to run that on any notebook (and no, I don't count those 3" thick 12lb bricks that Alienware sells as notebooks). Either MBP will run most games fine, within reason. I'd go with the cheaper one if that is all you are looking to do on it.