MBP vs. other notebook to run Windows only?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chikit, Feb 17, 2010.

1. chikit macrumors newbie

Here's a question I'm curious to know:

If you strictly use windows only on a laptop and had been given a choice or a free MacbookPro (Bootcamp) or any other PC laptop, which would you pick?

2. ooChrisUKoo macrumors newbie

Id say the macbook any day the build quality is far greater than that of a average pc laptop and is suppose to last longer* :) (but thats just my preference)

3. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

ME: definitely PC laptop… Envy or Dell or something...

4. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

depends on the specs of the mbp

5. 240KAR macrumors newbie

I would say the Macbook too... I love the feel and the overall quality of the Macbook Pro. :apple: That's me though.. Although I do love carbon fiber.. :D

6. chikit thread starter macrumors newbie

*Specs aside..

I would pick a Macbook Pro too. Build quality is great, battery life is the best of its class and most importantly.. I absolutely love typing on this keyboard. Crisp, accurate and so satisfying to push down on!!

7. wrxlvr macrumors newbie

Don't really think that's true anymore. I do love the way the MBPs look and the LCD panels do seem nicer than what I've seen in a lot of the PC laptops. Until the new MBPs come out (with better specs), I'd have to choose the PC laptop.

Good thing I already have an adequate PC notebook, and can just hang onto it until the new MBP is released.

8. aquahell macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro any day. Sucks I would have to use Windows but the hardware, the design, and 7 hours of battery life!!

9. erdnagama macrumors newbie

erdnagama

That's right, You can use windows on it BUT the 7 hours would certainly shrink considerably besides the fact it would have a C2D...

If I had to buy a laptop today, I would go for a pc, no doubt about it!

But, please apple, PLEASE release the dam thing.

Cumps

10. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

I thought that 7hr battery life was the result of both the physical design of the MBPs and the power management of OSX.

Does a current MBP last about the same regardless of the os?

11. erdnagama macrumors newbie

erdnagama

And it is. That's exactly my point.

Actually I would love to know how much of those 7 hours are lost when using the existing version of MBP with Win 7 on it...

I'm afraid I'll have to use Windows sometimes in order to run certain software that doesn't work elsewhere. It sucks but it's life.

Cumps

12. aberrero macrumors 6502a

You don't get 7 hours in windows since there is no switchable graphics. You might on the 13, but the 15 and 17 will take a serious hit.

wait... you didn't let me finish...

I also think the display on it is great, as if it was taylor made for me, and the HDMI output to the TV is so swift and convenient.

13. rawd macrumors regular

I am so Envious.

14. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=864297
    good thread about in real life battery life...seems to be more around ~4 hours, which is about the same as the vaio z's battery life according to engadget. Windows 7 had that netbook problem where people claimed that it drained battery life. I am using windows 7 and it seemed to add to it, but I was using vista before so thats no big surprise.

was thinking about it as well...get an envy....skip the 15" arrandale...get the new new 13" when it comes out...will work itself to be about the same price, but get a lot more use out of it right now.