MBP vs T510

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerGamerX, Jul 7, 2010.

1. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

So I've owned my MacBook Pro for a week or so now but I sort of miss my ThinkPad. It worked great, but the screen was horrible and on top of personal money issues at the time caused me to sell. Now, I love the MBP and OS X but I have a soft spot for ThinkPads. :/

2. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

What are you trying to accomplish with that post?

3. Patrick Boyle macrumors member

4. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Exactly. I'm just looking for peoples input on it. I thought that's what you did on forums, posted ideas and thoughts for others to comment on.

5. unamused macrumors 6502

I just got my macbook pro yesterday and use to be a thinkpad user...

so far im liking it but then again, who doesnt like new stuff??

The biggest thing i miss is the trackpoint and the feeling that i could throw the computer around and not worry about it... i feel like i have to baby the MBP...

6. Dgpsx7 macrumors member

just adapt. You are lucky to have an MBP. You have to take the positives (in which there are a lot) of the MBP and just be happy with what you have. I can't believe you are even looking back at all. The other day I was using someone's pc laptop for the first time since I got my MBP and I couldn't stand it. Windows 7 was extremely annoying for me a first time user and the trackpad and screen were painful to use. If you don't like your MBP then just return it or sell it and use a cheaper PC laptop.

7. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

ThinkPads are generally not cheaper than Macs, I find Windows 7 to be excellent, but not quite as excellent as OS X.

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've owned a few Thinkpads before switching to Mac's ... for notepads running Windows I prefer Thinkpads.

But, after switching to Mac's I'd NEVER go back.

I think you're going through the adjustment phase ... took me a few months before I was totally comfortable with my MBP and OSX over my Thinkpads and Windows.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OSX or windows, or thinkpads are personal preference. When push comes to shove, both OSX and Windows are more then up to the task. Likewise with MBP and thinkpads.

It all boils down to what you want, what you like and how you'll be using it.

If you think you like thinkpads/win7 more, return the MBP (if you're still in the 14 day grace period).

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Well on the new T510, you can get an IPS display. This is something that Apple does not provide or offer either.

Other than that its trackpad versus trackpoint and milled aluminum unibody versus ABS plastic with magnesium chassis. and of course Mac OS X/ Windows versus just Windows.

11. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Lenovo displays suck. Lenovo's IPS display sucks. My question is why? Can't Lenovo use and and order screens to similar spec's that Apple uses.

You don't even need to use the hi-res 15" screen to compare to Lenovo's (or Dell's) ... my low-res 13" MBP has a better, clearer, more legible screen ... that's always bugged the hell out of me and it's a large part of the reason we stopped ordering Lenovo's and Dell's for our offices ...

Everything else about Lenovo's we were happy with, keyboard, build quality etc....

12. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

My father has a Thinkpad and I absolutely hate it, I love my MBP. It's a killer design and looks good. MBP Display > Thinkpad Display.

13. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I liked Thinkpads mainly because they are like beater laptops. You don't really care how you treat them. It keeps me worry free when using them. Of course this applies to my old Dell and HP laptops too.

With Apple laptops, they just look so darn good and nice that I treat it like a baby.

14. Beefy macrumors member

I have three Thinkpads at home and haven't touched one since my MBP came (except to repair and service others). I still love my Thinkpads and they won't be going anywhere, but this MBP is my main machine now. :)

15. case2001, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

case2001 macrumors 6502

I know this is an old post, however I had to respond. I am a long time user of Thinkpads. I started with my first over 15 years ago. They were always at a premium price compared to other Windows PC's of the time, therefore I took very good care of them. They are built like tanks. I still have everyone one of them, and each and every one served me well.

That being said I recently purchased my first Mac. It is an older MacBook Pro Core Duo and love it. It is built every bit as well as the Thinkpad. My wife has a new T510. Either is a fantastic piece of hardware. I really love this MacBook Pro. The screen is fantastic. It is small, light, fast, looks great and I really like Mac OS X much better than I expected. The only thing I miss is the pointing stick as a mouse. I really liked being able to go to the menus on the Thinkpad without taking my hands off the keyboard. I am learning the keyboard shortcuts for the programs I use on the Mac, and I am actually faster because it takes me directly to the command I would have had to use the mouse to find. There was a learning time frame, of course.

For my day to day....Word, Excel, Web, email, programming, iTunes and photos..my Macbook Pro is the perfect tool. I don't miss the Thinkpad.

Have a great day.... ;)