MBP vs Toshiba Satellite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Jan 5, 2008.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Toshiba Satellite X205-S9359 vs a MBP

Myself and a friend got into a friendly argument about which would serve as a better desktop replacement. I am going to have my pc downstairs as the general computer as I no longer want to keep upgrading the computer. I have grown into the liking of being able to tote around a laptop then hooking it up to an external display/keyboard and mouse.

I would be using this mostly for work (word processing and spreadsheets), adobe illustrator/photoshop, and etc. The only games I could possibly imagine myself playing on it would be a possible RTS/MMO game or two and of course guitar hero...

2. collinsra macrumors member

collinsra

So are you asking which one is better? Im not understanding the point of the post.

3. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

i'm asking what anyone with experience with various laptops especially the macbook pro if it is more than adequate as a desktop replacement and for the needs i listed vs a vista laptop.

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

well...the toshiba satellite is sold at wal-mart, nuff said:rolleyes:

5. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

This is a Mac site and you want us to tell you which is better, a Toshiba or MBP? C'mon! :D

For me, I choose the MBP because of OS X. Not because of the lack of viruses/malware, but because I've been using OS X since it first came out. I got hooked on Apple computers in middle school with OS 8 and 9 and then in high school with OS X. Bought my first own Apple laptop during college and just last year another one for medical school.

Some feel the same with Windows. I, on the other hand, have barely used XP and Vista. Only use it at hospital when I have to check some X-rays. Everything else is done on my PDA.

As for gaming, you said you could see yourself playing some games. If it's things like Warcraft and Guitar Hero 3. It can be done. I know Blizzard builds for both Windows and Mac at the same time. Other games, you will just have to wait until they get ported.

For Photoshop and word processing, I think they would be about the same. Both the MBP and Toshiba are great for what you want them to do. It's just one has OS X and the other Vista.

Also keep in mind, according to PC World, the Toshiba is about 8.7Lbs with a battery life of 2.5 hours. The MBP is 5.4Lbs. I couldn't find the average battery life for the 15" MBP, since I couldn't find a review on it. They just did the 17" MBP

6. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Well I would say MBP. I use my MB as a desktop replacement and it works great, so a MBP would be even better. Personally if you get a PC laptop I wouldn't install Vista.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

Reading from this PC World article, the Toshiba laptop you listed has everything but the kitchen sink:

two internal drives
    hd dvd player
    usb tuner
    4 Harmon Kardon speakers w/ a built-in sub
    512MB nVidia GeForce Go 8700M GT
    hdmi-out
    Microsoft Works

The things that would personally turn me off from it are:

the weight (8.7 pounds alone, 11 pounds w/ power brick)
    the OS (I prefer OS X over Windows)
    the screen is 17" but max res = 1680x1050

I use my 2.16 C2D MBP as a desktop replacement at work daily and have no issues with its performance.

8. Osprey macrumors 6502

I have both a Toshiba Satellite and a MBP and for me there is no comparison. The MBP is simply incredible plus I have had software issues with the Toshiba since day one. I guess it comes down to what you want to use it for, but I really can't think of anything my Toshiba does better than my MBP.:D

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Wow...11 pounds with "Power Brick." Is that Brick like the Xbox 360 one?

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

how's the battery life on the toshiba?

the thing about the mbp is that...its still very much an able laptop as well.

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

PC World said about 2.5 hours.

I forget what the read-world battery for a 17" MBP is.

12. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

which do you use more often? which handles adobe programs better? keyboard comparisons?

13. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Remember OP:
    You can get a MBP 17" with some damn good speed and RAM and using bootcamp still install vista or XP on it.
    Then you can simply choose to boot OS X or Windoze (yes, doze).
    You can't do that on a PC without going to extreme lengths.....

I love having both OS's at my reach.