MBP vs. Windows PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slw3737, Jul 3, 2008.

1. slw3737 macrumors newbie

Hey,

Right now, I am a Windows PC user. However, it is time for me to buy a new laptop. As of two days ago, I was convinced that I was going to get the 15" MBP. Now, with all this hype about broken GPUs and NVIDIA having some problems, I am not sure if I should get a MBP. I would mainly use my MBP to surf the web, listen to music, watch some movies, maybe a little Photoshop, and play games (via Bootcamp). These games would be quite high end like Crysis. I need to order a laptop within the next week and can't decide if I should convert to Mac and get a MBP or stick with a Windows laptop.
    Should I just get a MBP despite these problems, wait it out to see what NVIDIA says, or get a PC?

Thanks

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I'm a recent switcher as of a couple months ago when my trusty P4 3.2ghz machine died. I've had no video issues at all and I've played some COD4 and used my RC flight simulator.

Don't worry... just buy a MBP and get the Apple Care. Best machine I've ever had and believe me, I've hand built and bought a lot.

I think this last revision of the MBP is just solid.

Good luck -

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No big worries, some of the 8400s are experiencing high failure rates and recently had Dell fan updates.

If these 8600s experience the same problems, Apple will extend the warranty and cost shift the problem into Nvidia's lap. Almost sounded like a packaging materials failure that they "just fixed."

Though we also have to remember that Apple tends to underclock the GPUs compare to the PC OEMs.

Wouldn't hurt for Apple to bump the fan speeds on both the CPUs and GPUs, but then people would complain about buzzing/whine from the laptops.

4. lordthistle macrumors 6502

The world is strange.

You are willing to spend a lot of money to surf the web, read eMails and play games? Really? With all the defects apple is not able to remove from the MBP?

You can get a lot more than what you get from apple by staying where you are... unless you want the ultra-thick 15.4 computer or the backlit keyboard.

thistle

PS. Read the temps reached by the MBP when you use windows on this machine.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No problems whatsoever with my MBP ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. zevot macrumors member

hmm sorry for my ignorance but please tell me what 15" or 17" laptops out there are 1" thick at the thickest part.
    or you r just trying to tell us that it gets very hot because of its thinness

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what are u on about hahah it doesnt get that hot...(not compared to the CD's anyway!!)

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If people have a problem they complain about, when they don't they usually never go telling everybody their product is fine.

I've got a SR MBP (2.2GHz) and mine is fine, although I had a mobo replacement because hardware test said it was failing. It was no hassle for me and my local apple retailer ordered the part and called me when the part got in. For me it was like a breeze, I delivered my MBP before i went to work and picked it up again in my lunch, so i was a total of 4 hours without computer :eek:

I earlier had two Powerbook 12 inch, ibook clamshell, PB2300, PBDuo280, PBDuo210, Powerbook 180, Apple Portable, and every one of them is still working!
    Ofc the duos have dodgy keyboards by now, the portable has a broken HD etc, but they have done their job and they can all still be used. Some of those laptops are almost 20 years old now..

Anyways, Montevina is around the corner so i guess we'll see new machine within the summer

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

don't worry about it. This forum attracts a lot of users with bad problems. That's why a lot of us are here to help :)

10. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Be careful slw3737, a swarm of zealots has surrounded you! They are trying to take complete possession of your mind, they will transfer into your blood the mac-zealotness virus. They are blind, really. "Perfect" machines or "zero-problems" machines have a different meaning for all these infected poor guys. For them a perfect machine is one that needs two or three stops at an apple shop for substitution or fixes or whatever.

They were able to take control of my mind! And I bought an apple computer! I was lucky enough to find a vaccine: now I am left with a little mac-zealotness only concerning software. Let's hope researchers will find an effective and total cure in the future.

BE VERY CAREFUL! :D

slw3737, the only reasonable reasons to buy apple hardware are:
    1) You want to run MacOS.
    2) You really like the thickness or the backlit keyboard or the multitouch trackpad. I can say that I don't care for the thickness (1cm more wouldn't be a big deal), but multitouch and the backlit keyboard are very nice.
    3) Where you live, girls/boys only date mac owners. It does not happen where I live, unfortunately: girls don't look at the notebook.

I will buy again apple hw only for reason 1. But if you want to surf/mail and play games, without any of the previous conditions being met, just buy a pc because, especially for games, you will be happier (and richer, considering how expensive the 1in thickness is).

thistle

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Then again, opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. lordthistle macrumors 6502

You misunderstood me, I did not want to troll. I was only joking, having been a mac-zealot myself for a long time.

And obviously it was an opinion. The point is that positive posts from enthusiastic people are opinions as well, they are not the truth.

Frankly, I would consider suggesting a mac to a person who wants to surf and play games like cheating. That person can be happier (and obtain more) spending less. In many other threads you can read several times "macs are not for games" (not written by me).

Peace and love.

thistle

13. kabunaru Guest

Maybe get a MacBook with an iMac instead?

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Which is the point of my statement... everybody has one! ;)
    Yes, it is all opinion, based on our own experiences and past history

Cheers and happy 4th!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Yes, but that was a tricky sentence. It is not necessary to specify that a post contains an opinion... unless you want to differentiate it from the posts containing FACTS/TRUTH ;)

thistle

16. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I agree with this fellow's post. If you don't want the mac OS and the form factor and feature set don't make you want one, then there are Windows boxes that will play games far better and cost far less, while having more "features" that some users find handy. For example the SD reader I had built into my XPS M1710, or the HDMI port they are putting in PC laptops or the internal TV tuners found in some of them.

Since OS X virtualizes Windows and Windows seemed to do such a bad job interfacing with some of the hardware (thought the disk spun too much and had a few other failures meaning I had to re-build the installs) I decided I wanted to try a Mac.

Here's the deal in my OPINION - ALL COMPUTERS SUCK - You're going to have times they do things you don't want or they don't do things you do want. The question is do you like your computer? With all the problems I had in Windows I HATED my windows PC (even though it really was not the hardware's fault )and I HATED Microsoft for putting me though the hell sometimes - I love my Macbook Pro and even after a year I'm not finding myself drooling over new tech (a strange situation for me...).

BTW How does the nVidia thing end up being a PC/Mac pro and con? They use nVidia GPUs in PC laptops as well so they would be subject to the same fate...

Yeah; it's posts like this that give Mac users such and "Elitist" and "Fanboy" perception. You just recommended at least $2300 worth of hardware (before tax) and it still won't play the game the OP referenced at decent settings. If we're recommending Desktops then I'd just point the fellow to Newegg and say knock yourself out; once again this is assuming there is no desire to run OS X; if you want to use the mac OS then just get a mac and stop comparing Apples and Poop (MacOS/Windows).

17. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

About three weeks in with my MBP and I am very pleased with it.

18. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Yeah if you just want to surf the net and check email go with a pc. Oh wait, I forgot you can't surf the Internet on explorer without constant error message boxes popping up and closing the browser. I mean it is a pain in the arse to have to open the browse every time you want to g to another website. But oh well i'm sure it's just a glitch that microsoft will figure out. Oops I'm sorry what version of explorer is this and still the same problems. Ofcourse this may only bother some people.

Yes you can downlad another browser like Firefox. But isn't that sad when you can't even use the browser that comes with your computer. I mean what's even worse is when you have Microsoft customer sevice just teling people, "just go and dowload Firefox and use that, ok." I mean is this really that kind of company that you want to purchase a computer from. A company suposedly full of intellgent people who can't even create a stable and secure internet browser. Give me a freakin break.

To each his own.

19. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Yet another post that makes Mac users seem less educated and a bunch of Fanboys...

Once again I love using a Mac, but they make Firefox for Windows as well so you don't HAVE to use IE. Now if you would have mentioned Virus and Spyware situation due to the fact that M$ does not handle security and permissions in the same way a UNIX based OS like the Mac does then I would be more inclined to agree. The OP doesn't want to just browse the web; he references one of the most high end PC games available - this means he'll probably be happy with a high end PC...

I'm on a Mac right now using Firefox, I'd bet that the majority of Mac users are. Safari is still playing catch up in my opinion, I mean when you right click selected text and get the "Search in Google" in Firefox it opens a NEW TAB and lets you continue reading the first page, Safari refreshes the CURRENT PAGE to the search results which is bad design in my opinion. There are several instances like this.

The actual browser APP is not the issue her, it's the OS it runs on.

20. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Windows is a junk OS. I'm sorry that's only my opinion. I'm not trying to bash Microsoft. I just can't ever see myself using a pc ever again. I said in my post that you can use optional browsers on any platform, and yes Firefox is an excellent browser. But windows has to many security bugs and is just too unstalbe in my book to run anything on. When I use a computer to surf the net play games or do anything I want to do it smoothly. Not run into one error message after another. I wasn't comparing the functionality of Firefox to Safari. Only that Safari, is a much more stable and secure browser than ei.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree completely!!!! Buy the MBP now with AppleCare and you won't have a moment's regret or worry!

22. lordthistle macrumors 6502

:confused:
    slw3737, watch out! This is the most dangerous one! RUN! RUN! :rolleyes:

Yet again, Windows is junk because it needs to be that way.

In this case, if slw3737 is among those whose machines get easily infected, a far better solution than macos - windows double boot would be a machine with linux and windows.

thistle

23. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

LOL, Lordthistle. You have me all wrong.

If he wants a simple laptop to surf the internet, and play games then to me there is no difference in buying a pc or a mac. Both can do what he wants to do. I just think a mac could do everything he is trying to do a lot smoother. But if money is an object then you may want to go with a pc.

But if you want to call me a zealot then that's ok. I have no problem with you.

24. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Happy to see you didn't get angry :) In my mother-tongue, which is Italian, zelota (=zealot) isn't offensive. May be I should have asked this before: please let me know if zealot has an offensive meaning in English. I will stop using it.

thistle

25. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I just didn't want you to think that I had little people following me around signing sunshine songs, or something.