MBP vs. XPS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macnoviz, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Hi, I'm recommending a laptop for my younger brother. He is going to college (history) and looking for a laptop for his schoolwork and to play the latest games. I suggested the MBP, and he seemed eager.

But now, how do I explain that he will be paying hundreds of euro's more for a laptop with similar specs to a XPS M1530 (I checked to my best knowledge and matched RAM, processor, Graphics card, HDD, screen, plus calculating anti-virus costs, purchase of 64-bit windows for MBP, educational discount, and the MBP does cost a lot more (somewhere around 200 euros by my estimate, calculated here in Belgium))

I know the added value of having a Mac and iLife, but what else can I say to reassure him this is the best choice to make (or is it?)

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Tell him, he will get all the ladies with the MBP, and all the FPS nerds with the dell. :p

In all honesty, I think the MBP is the better deal, and If he waits till around the summer he could get a free iPod with his purchase.

3. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

It's quite some cash for a sleek design, but still, I think the MBP stays the better choice IMHO.

and since it's Belgium, the normal discounts/actions are different here. Though we do get a 80 euro voucher this month with a new mac (conveniently the same price as iWork)

any other advantages I could say to him?

4. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Both the MBP and the Dell will do this. Well, to the degree that laptops are good at games, which is not very, they'll do it.

Well, you don't. Incidentally a lot of Windows users use free anti virus and firewall software so no additional cost there. Avast and Zone Alarm are good examples.

Bottom line is the Macbook is pricier.

Ask him what he prefers. It's his choice.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Let him get what he wants the XPS is very Powerful and if he will be using windows on the Mac what's the point of getting the Macbook Pro it's no more powerful.

6. CarlosG macrumors member

If he gets the Mac he doesn't need to worry about viruses.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

That statement if not entirely true.

8. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Pretty much what it comes down to, is he willing to pay the extra price for OSX?

9. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Provided he's not a complete moron he doesn't have to worry about them with the Dell either.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Gaming on a laptop is an expensive and short lived venture at best.

11. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

Yup, that's true. You must have the typo virus. :D

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

13. marioblackman23 macrumors member

as you said and know the dell xps and macbook pro have pretty much the same specs for a large price gap. ive just been looking over this decision for my self as well, not only with the 1530 vs. MBP but with the 1330 vs MB (xps seems to be the only comparable system to me) what ultimately swayed my decision is the cool user friendly interface that is offered with OS X not to mention how much sweeters the computer actually looks. One of those things when you see it you stop and stare,(Ive done it Before)

14. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

yes, I did. Even after forcing as much as I morally could to bring the 2 prices together, there is still a significant difference.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

IMO, 200 euro does not seem like an exorbitant price to pay in order to dual boot in to OS X and vista. For me, OS X is not the whole ball game, but it's close. Bottom line is that I wouldn't enjoy a windows-only computing experience. But if your brother would, then I guess the XPS is the way to go.

16. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I went throught this decision making here in the UK but then the price difference is a lot bigger (about £300 which is about 450 euros).

I've still not settled on a decision but I am waiting for the XPS range to adopt the Penryn processors and then see what choices I've got.

However, I am currently using a 2.16GHz Macbook Pro and I absolutely love it. There are some gripes coming from Windows to OSX but overall, I love it and I would recommend it to anyone :)

In my opinion, it comes down to what your brother is use to. If it's for school, and he is use to a particular OS, I would suggest he go with that.