Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sp71Supra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
So I have run into a little problem. Tell me if this makes sence?

Ok so apple offers front row, what a great idea right? I love to put up my laptop, lay in bed, and adjust my songs. So i used to connect my MBP to my surround sound via a earphone jack / video inputs. It works perfect. So I found out about airtunes. So I went and bought airtunes so I could do this wirelessly...

So I hook it up and everything is great. So I go to lay in bed with my remote... pick my songs, everything is perfect... so I go to adjust the volume with the remote... what do ya know? It dosent work... the remote only adjusts the MBP's system volume and not the itunes program volume. Airtunes only runs the itunes volume, not the systems volume.

Now when I used the cable, it would reflect the changes in the system volume.. now wirelessly with airtunes I get nothing.

So I went to the apple store and they said thats just how it works and there is nothing you can do about it. So I ask myself.. why would apple market their remote, etc... and you cant even use it with the airtunes... what gives? Is there any other program that I can use to accomplish my goal? I thought apple was smarter than this... any ideas?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
This is interesting and I am curious to find a fix for it. I have a similar setup as you but have never bothered using Front Row, so I will give it a shot.

Sp71Supra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
I guarantee it wont work... it wont work even if you are not using front row... even if you put up the system volume with your keyboard with just itunes open it will not reflect on the volume.... :mad:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Ok, I found two programs that are great for customizing the Apple Remote. Unfortunetly neither are free:
Mira
Remote Buddy.

Check out Versiontracker.com to get them. They both allow total button mapping of the apple remote and easily allows for changing iTunes Volume.

Sp71Supra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
I have mira, but it seems to only allow "system volume" which means its doing the same thing, correct? Unless you assign a certain keystroke?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Yeah upon further inspection I have found two things:
1) Mira needs some customization.
2) Remote Buddy sucks pretty bad (very buggy), but otherwise allows me to solve your problem.

Sp71Supra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Yeah upon further inspection I have found two things:
1) Mira needs some customization.
2) Remote Buddy sucks pretty bad (very buggy), but otherwise allows me to solve your problem.

Well I noticed for play/pause mira uses keystroke: space
What keystroke could I assign mira to controll itunes volume?

edit: I think I figured it out, in mira, under itunes, click the volume button up in mira, and assign keystroke, in there you can click the command button and up for volume up, and the same with down for volume down. It should work fine... I just dont have my remote here at work.. I think this might work.. Although Apple should have thought of this and just made it work.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Oddly I think I have solved the problem, but it isn't working so therefore no dice.

I have assigned a keystroke to iTunes (Command-UP, or Down) and that works in iTunes. But in Front Row I can't get it to work no matter what I try. I need to somehow disable the Global controls for Front Row but haven't gotten that far yet. If anything I can resort to using an applescript for volume up and down to get it to work in Front Row, which will work fine cause Applescripts work so fast that it would be useful.

EDIT: You have AIM or MSN or something? Supra?

Sp71Supra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Applescript would be awsome! I havent messed much with applescript, so I would be greatful if you could help me out. Correct me if im wrong, but I cant believe Apple is not aware of this... and if they are, why would they set up airtunes like that?

Im is Mark1999Si
email is sp71supra@dp.net

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.