mbp w/apple care buying help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arcticmikey, Nov 5, 2012.

1. arcticmikey macrumors newbie

there's currently a 12 month interest free deal on all apple products in my local pc world store.. so i'm going to take the plunge and get myself a mbp.

i've already decided on the specs and stuff - but what i would like to know is whether or not i can take out apple care, from somewhere else after purchase?

when i asked - the guy in store said i couldn't due to it being in the terms of the interest free deal. but i wasn't sure if i could still buy direct from apple or somewhere else online for cheaper.

cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can buy AppleCare from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others.

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

3. Podifer macrumors newbie

^^ this, absolutely this. And remember to shop around for the best deal - bought my MBP in June, going to get AppleCare from an Amazon seller in the New Year when I'm feeling more flush.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Did you read the terms? I can't see how the terms would preclude you from buying Applecare elsewhere.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

They can't, Applecare is sold separately and can be bought at any time within the regular 1year warranty period. Since phone support expires on the regular warranty after 90 days, if you think you may need that best to buy Applecare to continue that within the first 90 days, otherwise if you wait until the very last minute you're essentially paying for phone support you never got. Dunno about you, but I hate giving away free money!