MBP w/ Core 2 Extreme X7900

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emt8q5, Aug 24, 2007.

1. emt8q5 macrumors member

When can we expect a MacBook Pro with the new Intel chip in it? If the chips are already in the upper end iMac, I would think Apple could have them in MBPs relatively soon?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Maybe the 17" MBP
    2. It's hot.
    3. It's hot.

3. pdra05 macrumors regular

im guessing early 2008???

but not too soon i hope. i just got my MBP not long ago... ...

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It could be today. :rolleyes:

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Heat, as Eidorian noted, is a problem. Sure, PC vendors build "laptops" with all sorts of hot CPUs in them, but they are monstrosities.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My Latitude D800 gets nice and toasty. It's a huge monster made of plastic.

The biggest problem would be the keyboard and where the wrists rest. Those parts tend to get the hottest and most aggravating.

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Looking Like Heat Will Keep Us Speed Demons Waiting 'til Next Spring For 3GHz C2D MBP

I guess then it will be safest to wait for 45nm processors that go 3GHz next Spring. I was hoping for at least 2.6GHz so I could say it was more than 5GHz of power. :eek:

8. AkiNikoTanTan macrumors member

hmmm, why would you say 5GHz of processing power, coz CPU's speed doesnt adds up like that, 2 CPUs in 1 chip means at the same time, the 2 CPUs can run simultaneously at a certain speed (i.e 2.6Ghz), and the highest they can go without overclocking is still 2.6Ghz :) Just that if the application which is written to make use of the both CPUs to run at the same time, it will have a speed boost. Maybe there are some misunderstandings that need to be sorted out. :)

9. tmoney468 macrumors 6502a

^He probably means net power, but you do make a point. Either way, I don't think apple is going to include the Extreme processor simply because it'll be too hot to fit into the current design

10. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

welll, right now all the notebooks are air cooled, if apple got in on some liquid cooling technology you would easily be able to use a core 2 extreme at 3.0Ghz or Higher without issues. the other thing is that a liquid cooling system can be easily designed to use NO POWER what so ever. it could run off the heat of the processor (which is how i made mine custom for my desktop (core2 Quad @ 2.6 Ghz Overclokced to 3.2Ghz) -- and i have NO heating issues. what you need is a sealed metal pipe that has a ball valve (one way valve for coolant) -- and it should be placed before the pipe enters the heat sink. - this allows for the heat expansion to push the pre-cooled liquid into the valve becuz it would only flow one way. and it's the heat from the processor that could drive it. (no issues w/ having to try and fit a PUMP into a MBP.)

anyways, if only apple would go toward liquid cooling, we would end up w/ Core 2 extremes in our MBP's =D:apple:

11. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

monstrosities can be calmed down w/ liquid cooling.

12. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

And I hope you know you're replying to a post almost a year old... why did someone dig this up?

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Holy cow, a post by Multi?! He's back?! Oh, no. Wait. You just found a worthless year-old thread about a processor that will never be in a Mac laptop.

14. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I assume you're not speaking directly to me, as it was dinjin who dug it up... and not I.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, no no, certainly not. I'm talking about the guy who first brought it up this year.

dinjin201, yeah, that's him. Great job with the fire-fueling there. Now we'll have more newcomers wanting the extortionally priced Extreme.