MBP w/edu discount replacement at retail location?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2Turbo, Apr 17, 2011.

1. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

My MBP base 13" (from apple.com) has a scratch on it and I was wondering if I could just take it into the local apple store and swap it out for a replacement? Will they do that even if I bought through the edu discount?

Thx

2. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the educational discount, but when I had a problem with an MBA that I got w/ EPP discount they didn't care how much I paid for it. It was just a hardware swap. No reason to believe your experience will be any different.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You're swapping it because you got a scratch on it?

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, I needed a replacement on my 13" and they took care of it with no questions asked.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I doubt they're going to give you an entirely new machine because you scratched your existing one.

6. johnnj macrumors 6502a

He didn't say he scratched it, just that it was scratched. It was my impression that cosmetic defects like that aren't all that uncommon and that Apple won't always do an exchange for every one. Maybe he did scratch it. Either way it's going to be a crap shoot whether or not he'll get a new one. That wasn't his question, though. The question was about the standing of an educational discounted machine purchased online when getting service in a retail store.

My old 3/09 15" had a couple of problems. The most noticeable was a nick on one of the corners of the lid, which I saw other people complain about. The other was that one of the screws that held the larger bottom panel underneath the removable panel had a hole that wasn't tapped deep enough so the removable panel wasn't flush. I took the screw out and problem solved.

Neither problem really bothered me so I never took action.

7. 2Turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

2Turbo

I should have clarified. This is a new MBP within the original return window that was shipped from apple with a scratch on it that I did NOT make. Actually, it's not a scratch, it's the aluminum that looks peeled off.

I thought I read before on this forum that if you're not completely satisfied for any reason within the return window, you can get a replacement system.