MBP w/external display - Will I be happy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .Logan, Aug 20, 2010.

1. .Logan macrumors member

Hello,

I've been mulling over the idea about purchasing a MBP. The idea has now become a fairly solid plan since my PC Desktop is having major issues all of a sudden, which I'm now tired of. I'm eager to try things out in the world of Mac. I need a desktop more than a laptop, but having the option available of portability will be nice if I need it (therefore, that's why I'm going with a MBP and not an iMac).

Is it okay for the MBP if it is used mainly as a desktop (with external display, mouse, keyboard, etc...)? My external display is 23" and the resolution is 1920x1080, will the MBP be able to produce that resolution without any problems?

Are there any heat issues having the MBP just sit while turned on with the lid down for long periods of time?

What about the battery, is this good for the battery? Is the battery removable in MBP's so that I could just take it out when using it as a desktop? (is that what should be done?).

Thanks!

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

If you need a desktop more, why not get an iMac they are cheaper I believe or really close in prices. They also should perform better in the stock config. Don't rule out refurbs! They are an excellent deal

3. iperson21 macrumors regular

it should be nice, but it could be better if you got this stand to help ventilate, and then you could have two monitors
    you could use the macbook pro's screen to run maybe non important things when you are working such as maybe a video chat itunes, etc.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i have this setup, it works great

a desktop that can also be portable, i recommend the ACD, there great and make your life alot easier.

worth the money and investment.

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If you don't have any need for the portability, get an iMac, much more power for the price.

In regards to heat.. If you look closely, when the screen is open, the hinge bends so that the vents for the fans are completely open, when the screen is closed, these vents are practically covered, so it could be an issue if left like that whilst using power hungry programs.

First, why would you want to take a battery out of a laptop if it's being used as a desktop anyway?

Secondly, The battery is NOT user-removable.

But I can't stress enough.. GET AN IMAC.. You don't need the portability.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

First, yes, the MBP can pretty easily drive a display that resolution.

With heat, there shouldn't be many issues unless you are doing some heavy work with it closed, then it can get pretty hot. What I typically do when mine gets a little hot, is open a program, then open the lid. The internal screen stays inactive, but it lets heat out.

As far as the battery, no, you can't take it out. And you really don't want to take it out and run the computer anyway. It underclocks the processor, and if you accidentally bump the cord, you lose all your work. Since you can't take it out though, that won't be a problem. I'd just run down the battery to 20% or so a couple times a week.

7. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I am using my MBP with a 24 inch Mac display monitor and have no problems. I have a wired keyboard attached to the MBP and a wireless mouse. I use the keyboard's USB port to copy files. When I need to take my MBP with me, it's simple to detach and go. No real heat issues with my present MBP. I have a new unibody in transit so I'll see if that becomes an issue. A simple laptop stand may increase air around the new MBP if heat does become a problem.

8. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I moved to an MBP/Cinema Display a couple of years ago and love it. When I travel (for several weeks at a time) I just disconnect and go; when I'm home the MBP stays in clamshell mode. I wouldn't want to have to disconnect every day because it's a pain, though that's still better than losing all mobility with an iMac. I have my MBP on a raised metal stand for better ventilation.

Now that I have an iPad, that will go with me on a daily basis, but I still need to have a laptop for travel. I've followed these forums for a long time and never seen anyone express regret for going mobile/external monitor. You'll find it's liberating. Just insure your laptop if you can.

9. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I'm in the same boat as the op. I'm considering getting the new 27" cinema display for my mbp, but I worry that driving that big of a display while playing wow would be more than my unibody 15" can handle.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sounds like you've already decided for yourself, OP.

I've been running the MBP/external display for the past year and a half now. Haven't had problems with the setup at all. Just make sure you disconnect the laptop and exercise the battery every now and then. As others have said, leave the battery in there.

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not really...even more so if you have a 512MB card

As for the OP i've had this setup for a year now after coming from an iMac. The iMac served me well but it wasn't as versatile. I can disconnect my laptop and do mobile computing anywhere anytime but with an iMac i'm stuck at that desk ALWAYS.

Also i can upgrade my computer and my LCD remains with me whereas with the iMac when you decided to upgrade you lose your display too and have to gamble with a new display (iMac yellowing issues, dead pixels etc)

12. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I use my 15" MBP in clamshell mode stored vertically with vents up all week. It is attached to the 24" ACD and is a great iMac alternative at the desk and portable workhorse on the go or at the coffee house. It does get a bit warmer, especially when the graphics card is being intensively used, or just switched on in my original unibody model :cool:. But Apple claims the warmer temps are still acceptable. I've noticed the fans spin up from 2,000 rpms to 3-4,000 rpms when using the graphics card. I wouldn't worry about needing the lid open to dissipate a little extra heat from the top surface. The fans kick in when needed. The fricking computer was designed for clamshell.