MBP w/SSD + optibay HDD: How does Migration Assistant know where to put files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terzinator, Apr 6, 2011.

1. terzinator macrumors 6502

On my new MBP, I've got the stock 128GB SSD, and I'm adding a 750GB HDD. I want the SSD for boot/apps and the HDD for music, photos, movies and other data.

Since most of the data on my old MBP is in my Home folder, I'm assuming it's the Home folder that will live on the HDD. (The home folder on my old MBP is 216GB on a 320GB HDD.) But how would Migration Assistant know to put data there, and apps on the SSD? Does it ask where you want the files to go if there are two drives? (I checked Apple's support page on MA and it didn't really answer it http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413.)

Do you just do Migration Assistant once for the apps, then do it again for data? Frankly, I'm fine if I have to do the data manually. But I like the idea of Migration Assistant for the apps, so the licenses get transferred with it. Where do the licenses live, anyway?

And then what if the home folder on the old machine has the same name as the home folder on the new machine? I suppose I could have created a different temp admin on the new machine, then just killed off that user after transferring my old home folder. Like I said, I'm fine transferring that manually, but I want to make sure app licenses get transferred to the new machine.

Any best practices or good advice for the transfer to two drives?

2. frankieboy macrumors regular

If I remember, Migration Assistant lets you specify what you want moved: you can migrate just apps, just your home folder, and there are one or two other options.

So you could just migrate your apps, then probably run Migration Assistant again for your home folder, or use this procedure for that.

3. terzinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Yeah, I'll probably wind up doing it in two batches then. Apps first, then move over the home folder/data.

I've booted it a few times, installed WIN7 already on the SSD... man is this thing fast.

So I'll install the apps on the SSD, then open up the case again (added the RAM myself), install the HDD, and then migrate over the data.