MBP wake from sleep problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zblaxberg, Sep 17, 2007.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

So I have my mbp set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time and if I wake it up, it will ask for my password and will let me log in. However if I close my mbp screen to make it go to sleep and try to wake it up again, it lets me put in my password but then immediately goes back to sleep. What is going on here? I have repaired permissions.

2. tpeyton macrumors newbie

Wake issue

My issue is not the same, but I thought I'd post here. My MBP wakes (I think) but the screen does not turn on. The glowing light goes out sometimes, but sometimes it just lights up solid without blinking. I have to restart in order to use the computer again. I've changed the hibernate mode from 3 (current setup for MacBook's) to 0 (old PowerBook setting).

3. coogee macrumors regular

I have the exact problem as tpeyton. The MBP will not wake from sleep. When opening the 'sleep light pulsing' disappears and the keyboard registers input with beeps but the screen does not brighten and no amount of closing/reopening or input will wake the damn thing.
    This is happening when no apps are running, the screen is simply closed and it dies. The only recovery is a soft power down (hold power button) and reboot.

Anyone have any advice, as per above?

My other gripe about my MBP today is that the clasp to open/close really is quite shi.t.

Everything else is <3 <3 <3 but I'm suffering in the dark today :(

4. jeremychoi macrumors newbie

I also have the same problem as the first post. It happens once in a while, but not all the time. I, too, would like to know how to fix this.

5. jditto macrumors newbie

Same problem

My mac wakes up and asks for the password....sometimes if I put it in the screen goes back to black and you have to hold down the power button then press the power button again. Also I've noticed that if you don't put the password in immediately that the password screen goes away and the black screen is stuck. Anybody have any ideas?

6. Parviz macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro won't wake up!

This happens regularly. Nothing seems to help. I have to hold down power switch and restart. Apple must be aware of this problem!
    I also own an older G4 Aluminum 1.3 Ghz which always wakes up.
    Anyone know how to solve this problem? Resetting PMU does not do anything.

7. martinmartin macrumors 6502

i also have problems waking my mbp from sleep. in fact, its so annoying that i dont even close my lid ever when the computer is on.

sometimes the computer goes to sleep automatically if its not plugged in. usually i hit the power button once or twice and hope it lets me log in. other times i have to hold the power button down to restart. not sweet.

8. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

wow looks like this is a common problem..surprised no one has a sollution

9. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

10. coogee macrumors regular

11. dordal macrumors member

I have it as well. May be an OS thing, because my old PowerBook G4 did it as well.

It seems to particuarlly happen if I sleep while connected to an external monitor, and wake up without. (although thats not the only time it happens)

12. matt l macrumors member

i have this as well, put my macbok to sleep and the fans start to spin, when i try to wake it up nothing happens, have to power it off, so much for osx being rock solid!

13. benulous macrumors newbie

Yup, me too...brand new 2.2 MBP...

extremely annoying..

14. ericthered macrumors member

Another affected user

Problem is intermittent, seems to occur mostly if MBP is put to sleep by closing it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

15. marine610610 macrumors regular

I have this problem as well..

I have found that closing the lid again and reopening it usually brings everything back up. Sometimes i have to close it twice. I would bring it back but it dosent bother me too much. The only reason i say anything is that i figure that its better to close the lid and reopen it than to hold down power and restart it.

16. TubbyCow macrumors member

wake from sleep

I have had the same problems with my mbp. After falling asleep the screen would not come back on when i tried to wake it. I am almost positive that the reason is the bluetooth logitech mouse I have. Is this a common problem. Has anyone experienced this. I think that the problem has stopped however when I disallowed the device to wake the computer. Now I just have to hit a key instead of moving the mouse and it seems to work fine now, but I'm not sure if this was the solution.

17. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Same here, previously, with my Powerbook G4 (only more so), especially if I plugged in my mouse or keyboard before waking it up.

I've found it better to make sure all devices (monitor, FW, USB) are disconnected before putting the computer to sleep. If my MBP is asleep and connected to one of my monitors and/or keyboard/mouse, I'll wake it up and let it register the devices being disconnected before closing the screen and throwing (placing it nicely) it into my bag.

NOTE: Do not throw your MBP at or into anything, as this could also make it difficult to wake up later.

18. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Don't know the answer... but I do know the problem. It's almost a relief that other people have the same problem too...

19. Lawrence Jones macrumors newbie

MBP sleep / wake problems

I had similar issues months ago with my MBP C2D 17" bought last November. Sometimes it would not wake without a hard reboot. Primary problem was fitful sleeping - it would wake in my briefcase.

Problem was solved by following a tip in this thread
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4990098&#4990098 ,
    by running terminal.app and entering
    sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

This has the effect of making power management ignore the magetic sensor which detects lid closure/opening. It is not part of the latch, it is apparently a proximity sensor.

I now put my MBP to sleep by briefly tapping the power button and then "S" (which selects "sleep" from the popup shutdown choices). On opening, the MBP stays asleep until I tap any key. I much prefer this explicit sleep/wake behavior.

I am speculating that the inability to wake sometimes is related, but curing the wake-in-briefcase problem cleared up the other problem for me at the same time.

Explore the pmset command before using this tip, so you understand what you are doing.

20. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Here here.
    Half my freezes/hangs on my macbook are due to wake from sleep while plugged in external mouse and/or external monitor.

21. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Mine swaps between the first two problems in the thread... I just did the "sudo pmset -a lidwake 0" command and I'll see if this gives me any luck...

22. nightelf macrumors 6502

Sometimes I have the same problem but I wake my MBP by click the spacebar several times, increasing the brightness or the clicking the trackpad button.

23. Bmoney017 macrumors member

I have had the same problem for a while, (I usually have a USB mouse plugged in if that makes a difference) but after I type in my password, it will just go to a black screen after it shows the screen for a split second. Ive found an easy fix. I just close the screen for a few seconds (once the light starts to pulsate) and then open it up and hit the spacebar if the password box doesnt show up and then it works. I have only had this problem maybe once every 10 or 20 wake ups from sleep

24. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

YES same thing same mouse same problem. ANYONE KNOW A FIX???

its like the mouse wakes it up while the lid is closed and then the computer gets confuse and doesnt know how to wake up...

25. dordal macrumors member

I've done a little more troubleshooting on this, and it seems to be related to USB drivers/software. I have a MacAlly ICEkey, and disabling the McAlly USB drivers helped with the problem, but did not solve it. But I often see USB problems when I look at the Console log after it doesn't wake up from sleep.