MBP Wake Up Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by starney, Oct 6, 2008.

1. starney macrumors member

It all since yesterday night after Installed the EFI firmware and itune 8.01 updates, my MBP fall in problem of unable to come back from sleep. The Fan is running but all screen gone black just as if the brightness switched off completely. Still can see slightly the log-in window in almost black screen. After input password the screen goes black finally. Forced to switch off the by pressing the power button.Does anyone know what's wrong for the problem?

My MBP, Rev. D, 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 320GB, 10.5.5 Leopard.

2. keeper macrumors regular

Mine did that yesterday for no reason. had to power off and restart.
    No problems since.

Cheers phil

3. starney thread starter macrumors member

thx for the information

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

also try an SMC reset.

pull the battery and a/c power, hold power button for 10 seconds.

5. Zel macrumors regular

I've got the same problem

For a week or two now mine has been doing this also. (I was about to start a thread about it but I remembered that this place ususally flames anyone whostarts a thread for any reason)

Here's what happens. I close the MBP, ut it in my backpack, move around, take it out and set it on the table, it looks like it is sleeping nicely. I plug in the power and I hear it go vrm-vrm like the cd drive does when it is waking up, so I gather that it is waking up from the power in plug. I open the laptop and get nothing on the screen, but the machine is otherwise fully awake. The audio control buttons make the plop plop noise that they should but the LED backlight is disabled. Sometimes I can make out features on the screen, so the screen is still working but dark.

From this point I have tried clickign and hitting buttons, nothing works. I can put it back to sleep and wake it back up, nothing works. I tried plugging in an external monitor and it works great except that doesn't help me get my documents off the main screen, which is still black.

Knowing that the mbp is working, I press the power button once and then enter and it initiates a nice shutdown. With my hand over the HDD I wait for it to go stop and then press power again to reboot. Everything comes up normally.

This only happens if I plug in the power and then open the laptop quickly. If I open it and then put in power it works fine, or if I put in the power and wait a minute to open it it is fine too.

You guys often know what's up and how to fix something, so I ask of the forum, what can I do? I am reluctant to turn it in for repairs because I use it every day and cant risk losing what's on the harddrive.