MBP wakes by itself during sleep. Then promptly returns to sleep within seconds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Libertine Lush, May 27, 2010.

1. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

This is has been occurring most every night since I've had this MBP for a few weeks. I put the MBP to sleep at night. Then some point in the morning, I can actually hear it wake, but then quickly, within 5 seconds, it right back to sleep.

I have no programs telling it to awake or perform scans, my Bluetooth mouse is off, etc. Has anyone experienced this or know how to resolve it?

Thank you.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Sounds like my kid. Seriously, how loud is your mbp that you can hear it when you are sleeping? It could be waking for network access. Check if you have that on or off. Also, it could be waking for a backup or for checking for updates. Hell, just read the link before mine, I just wanted an excuse to make the sounds like my kid joke.
    I know, lame.

3. celticpride678

Disable "Wake for Network Access" in the Energy Saver System Preferences pane.

4. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. However, none of the potential issues there apply to me.

I've had a DVD left in the drive for the last week, so every time it wakes by itself, it also revs up the drive, which wakes me up too.

If I'm not sharing any files, would "Wake for Network Access" be relevant to me at all?

Although, stevensteven, you mention it could be waking for updates. Do you mean OSX's Software Update? I have that set for daily. Would that actually wake the computer for access? I assumed that it would only update if the Mac is on, regardless of how often you request it to check for updates. And even if it actually does wake the Mac, it seems unlikely in this situation that it would be Software Update, since the scan it runs to check for an update takes much longer than the 5 seconds it takes for my MBP to sleep itself again.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

See, my new imac 27 inch wakes up too. I was told what might be the problem and that this:
    Repair permissions and reset PRAM and SMC

should fix it. I haven't done that yet because I'm still waiting on my external hard drive to do a backup before I try that. If that doesn't work, I'll call apple care and see what they can do. i'll report back if u wish...

6. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had the 27" iMac too, but I didn't have this issue with it.

I just called AppleCare again. The first call yesterday, I was also told to do a SMC reset, and see how it works the next day. Today it still woke and slept like it's been possessed. However, today AppleCare told me this is normal behavior for all Macs with a WiFi connection. That occasionally the Mac needs to "talk" to the WiFi connection or it will be locked out. I find it odd, since my iMac didn't exhibit this behavior.

I'd be interested to know if other people know if this is normal for Macs. And yea, I'd love for you to report back, stevensteven.

7. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

The line about all macs with wifi waking up sounds like ******** to me. My other iMac is 5 years old and never does this. Still waiting for hard drive...