Mbp Wakes From Sleep When I Turn The Room Light Off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foxx0775, Feb 10, 2009.

1. foxx0775 macrumors member

All in the title really.

I close my MBP and it goes to sleep, then I go to leave the room and turn the lights off. Then I hear a pop from my speakers and whirl from both the internal and external HDD. This lasts about 5-10 seconds then it goes back.

Anyone had similar problems?

Cheers.

2. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Does your light switch also power anything that may be connected to your MBP via USB? My MBP will wake up if any usb devices are plugged in or removed. So if you flip the switch and that powers down a usb device that is plugged into your MBP, your MBP will wake up to find out what is going on, thinking it may be a keyboard/mouse and that you want it to wake up in clamshell mode. When it realizes it's not a KB/Mouse, it will go back to sleep.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yeah that sounds like it's definitely a problem with your wiring/power. Try plugging all of your periphs + computer into a surge protector, see if that helps.
    If you already have them in one, try changing out the surge protector, or moving your computer to another outlet (preferably not on the same circuit) and try the same thing. If it's still doing it, take it to the other end of your house and plug it in. You may also have too many things plugged into the room you're in.
    I can remember one time in my bedroom, I had my xbox, television, audio receiver & speakers, ceiling fan, Powermac + display, Bose Speakers, PowerBook, MacBook Pro, 2x External HD, Two floor lamps all on at the same time. When I rebooted my MacBook Pro (apparently it pulls current on boot) it popped my breaker.

4. JtheLemur macrumors 6502

Wow dude, that's a wild problem - haven't heard of anything like that since way back when in grade school, the Apple IIs in a lab were hooked *directly* to the room lights. Turn off the lights, all the machines went off.

Get your wiring checked - you could do a check yourself with a cheapo voltmeter from Rat Shack. Tap it to the outlet, and have someone flip the lights. If you see an appreciable jump, that very well could be the culprit.

5. tobyg macrumors 6502a

But the power source changing does not change the sleep/wake status of a MB or MBP. Unplugging a sleeping MB/MBP will not wake it up, nor will plugging in a MB/MBP wake it up.
    So I don't believe it's anything to do with the power to the MBP, but more power to a USB device he also has plugged into his MBP. When that loses power, the MBP notices it drop off the USB Bus.

Test it out. Put your MB or MBP to sleep by shutting the lid.
    Plug in a USB device, anything, such as a memory stick (just not a keyboard/mouse). It will power up, notice what was plugged in, and then go back to sleep. If you plug a KB and mouse in, the MBP will stay awake assuming you want to use it in clamshell mode.

6. foxx0775 thread starter macrumors member

its just the ring main guys. no perphs connected with the room lights. my external hdd gets excited when the fridge comes on as well - im not even unplugging anything there it just happens! everything remains powered on.

it doesnt really bother me, it just seems crazy! i thought, someone at least 1 person might have experienced the same! haha.

definitely gonna try a surge protector, i should have one anyway!

7. iTim314 macrumors 6502

One of the many reasons we need a new generation of "Twilight Zone." :cool:

8. tobyg macrumors 6502a

How is your external hard drive connected, USB? Firewire?

Surge protector/suppressor won't help power dips. If it's a dip causing your external hard drive to lose power a bit, enough to 'drop' from the USB bus and then rejoin, then perhaps that's it.

Do the same test with absolutely nothing plugged into your machine other than the magsafe and see if it still happens. If it still happens, then I'm at a complete loss.

9. foxx0775 thread starter macrumors member

well tobyg, you are a genius.

Its an Iomega MiniMax 500GB drive, haven't had any other drives do this!

10. 156457 macrumors 6502

Sorry to bump but maybe someone could help me.

I have all of my computer stuff plugged into one long extension lead, and in it, I have plugged in:
    My printer (switched off), My Samsung external monitor, my iMac, my router, my ext hard drive, my USB hub, my wireless phone and my mouse charger.

Every time I flip the switch on my lamp, my iMac wakes from sleep. It's so annoying, can someone offer an explanation?