MBP - Wanting to get one before Military Service

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bakerr, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Bakerr macrumors newbie

So I want to buy a MBP, and after browsing this site; I've gotten mixed emotions about purchasing one now. Some people say there will be updates in a few weeks, others say months.

I'm also a PC technician, and never owned a Mac before.

I leave for the military in January and would like to learn the OS before I ship out.

So that gives me a limited amount of time to make a decision . the most i can delay my purchase is up to 1 month. after that I might as well just wait another year.

any advice?

2. belvdr macrumors 603

If you are just wanting to learn the OS, then the hardware won't really matter. For the average user, the current models are fine. I have a 13" 2.26 with 4GB of RAM and it runs the entire iLife suite, Skype, Firefox, etc just fine.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Buyers guide
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Or buy refurb. Looks new, same warranty as new.

OS X doesn't take months to learn. It's not windows. Apple store offers free workshops, and apple site has lots of info.

The most recent person who switched, I showed her around for 15 minutes. Since then she had maybe 1 question and is completely happy.

4. Bakerr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm satiated with the MPB hardware I'm just torn between getting one in fear of them being updated and price dropped before I leave.

5. ShocK x10 macrumors newbie

I think he/she means they want to learn the OS before they ship out, so they know what theyre doing on it; not theyre just getting it to learn the OS.. in that case you cloud try a hackintosh in VMware on ur current pc so u can learn the OS, then go buy a revised one when they come out.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Then you'll always be living in fear. The current ones work fine for all basic to mid-range tasks.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. The current computers are excellent for most of your needs; buy one and enjoy it, you can always sell it if and when significant upgrades occur and buy a newer model. The very nature of IT means that computers will be superseded - it is inevitable. That's life. So, take advantage of the superb machines currently available, enjoy them, and then make the acquaintence of their successors, rather than berating yourself with wondering what might be coming down the tracks.

Moreover, I agree with Consultant who recommended buying refurb, if finance is an issue.

Cheers and good luck