MBP warranty question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liquinn, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Say I buy a MBP, and register it one month after I buy it, is this allowed?

How would Apple know any different if I bought it from Amazon?

2. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

By register do you mean purchased AppleCare Protection Plan? If so, you have a 1-yr warranty by default, and you can purchased the APP extended warranty at any time during that first year.

Otherwise, in terms of "registering," I'm not sure what you mean.

3. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Ahh, I mean if I buy a MBP on Amazon tomorrow, and don't register it until next month; how would Apple know? The warranty would expire in August 2012 rather than July 2012 right?

4. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

I haven't done this, so I don't know, but I would imagine you would need to provide some proof of purchase when registering for warranty?

Either that or Amazon will inform Apple that one of their Laptops has been sold and Apple will update their systems accordingly?

I am sure someone with more experience will let you know!

5. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

As far as I'm aware, you don't need to 'register' a product to entitle you to warranty. If you ever encounter any kind of problem with your Mac, you can either ring up Apple or take your Mac into an Apple Store. They use the serial number associated with your Mac to see when the Mac was purchased and whether it is still in warranty or not.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Apple assigns a date to computers they sell to resellers. A date that apple believes it will be sold. It get the actual purchase date you need to fax the receipt to apple then they will change the date. I purchased a new one that was 2 years old faxed the receipt and they changed the date.

7. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

When you register your MacBook Pro you need to send a proof of purchase to verify when you bought the Mac. Without the evidence you won't be able to register your computer.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Amazon has most likely notified Apple that they have sold one of their laptops with the purchase date.

What you're attempting is fraud.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly; the serial number (along with a copy of my sales receipt) were sent to Apple when I bought Applecare.

Ah, now, I've learned something new and thank you for posting that. That is interesting; I knew that the serial number was linked with the sales date (confirmed by sales receipt); what I hadn't realised was that Apple assigned a presumed sales date to computers which they sell to third parties. Very interesting.