MBP Warranty Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scott85213, May 28, 2008.

1. scott85213 macrumors member

I'm still within my AppleCare Warranty, and had a question, because according to Apple, I don't have the privilege to have phone support.

Over the last few months I've had my MBP, my left palmrest has begun to wear. It isn't damage, it's just wear. Purple spots have formed exactly where my palm actually rests, and they cannot be cleaned off, so the plastic must been fading or something.

Here is a pretty bad picture, I'll try to get a better one up soon.
    [​IMG]

My question is, do you think this is covered under warranty? I wanted to get a few opinions before I bothered to begin the long drive to my nearest store.

Thanks

2. SamoanDude macrumors regular

I have seen many others get their white Macbook cases replaced due to the yellowing issues. So I would vote yes.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If you have the AppleCare extended warranty, then you ARE entitled to phone support for the three years.

If you just have the regular warranty, then phone support is limited to 3 months from purchase date.

If you have AppleCare, did you register it and receive a written contract by mail? If it is not registered then this is why you may have been told that you are not entitled to phone support.

You are talking about cosmetic damage and on a MBP (not MacBook) I don't think they will cover it, but you can try again if you have AppleCare.

There was an issue with yellowing on the white MacBooks (not Pros) that Apple knew about. Those with the issue could have the plastic replaced.

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

That is an odd thing to happen with the MBP. The only time I have seen anything on the palm rest, is when it gets scratched.

Are they pits? Even extremely shallow pits? Like the paint came off the palm rest?

I DO see a scratch on the palm rest. You do not wear a watch when you type do you? That will scratch or pit the palm rest pretty quickly.

Can you take it to an Apple Store? If your within the warranty period, I would attempt to do that.

BTW, you tried to clean it off, what did you use to clean it?

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

6. iBecks macrumors 6502

It shouldn't wear like that in normal use.

It's probably from clothing, jewelery or maybe even a watch strap.

The scratch wouldn't be caused by a palm.

Take it to Apple and let them decide.

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

The scratch is one thing that could be related to jewelry (like a wedding band), but if the area is turning purple, this could be related to sweat and acid in the skin.

8. scott85213 thread starter macrumors member