MBP Water Dripping sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by view2darrel, Feb 19, 2013.

1. view2darrel macrumors member

hi guys. i have MBP 13" entry level (non retina).

i drop it from knee level height (actually my mbp slip on my bed bottom facing the floor) and now it has a dripping water sound (cant think of any other sound) like a "tik" or "tok" sound every two minute or so.

ive research a bit and found out it may be a hard drive problem. what do you think guys? anyone knows how to fix this? like a loosen screw or something.

if its a hard drive problem im planning to buy an SSD. 128 or 256 Gb variant. (ive read 256 performs better)

im planning to buy a affordable and reliable ssd that will last a minimum of 2years. since im new to ssd is it difficult to maintain? like trim etc.

im gonna use it for surfing , documents iphoto imovie and office works. i have games like call of duty diablo 3 and a frequent gamer. does gaming will teardown the performance and lifespan of SSD? if so maybe ill not gonna include games on SSD.

my budget 200-300 dollars.

thanks in advance

2. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If you have any important data I would back it up somewhere now.

As for the SSD, games shouldn't be an issue because for the most part they will just be reading their data from the drive, not modifying it other than save files which are small in comparison to the size of a game.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It does sound like the drop affected your HDD. I would back up your data immediately if you haven't been doing that.

For SSDs, most of the ones available on the market are fine for your use. Apart from save files, games do not normally write to your drive. I have a 5 year old SSD that's been in gaming computer and it has never failed once.

The best choices these days seem to the Samsung 840 series. For $175 you can buy a 250GB Samsung 840 which is more than sufficient to last you a couple years.

Some folks may suggest you purchase the 840 Pro, which is about $250 for 256GB; it is faster than the 840, but overall you're unlikely to tell the difference in day-to-day use unless you look at benchmarks (which I find pointless). For power users, they may be able to see the difference, but for regular folks it's all just numbers. It will be a world faster than your HDD no matter what you choose.

If you are willing to stretch your budget a little more, you can get the Samsung 840 500GB for only $330 (the 840 Pro would be about $500 in comparison).

To enable TRIM, that is an easy process. Just download an app called Trim Enabler. It's a free application [though you are free to donate] and takes nothing more than a button press to enable TRIM.

Finally to get all the stuff from your current HDD to your new SSD, you can either back up all you data, reinstall OS X to the SSD and copy the data back to it, or you can use a nifty application called Carbon Copy Cloner (commonly shortened to CCC). It used to be free (which you can still get), but the latest version is now paid. I think it's worth paying. Simply put your SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure and connect it your booted up Mac. It will clone your recovery partition from your own HDD to the new SSD. Then copy everything from your current HDD to the new SSD. When this process is done, replace your HDD with the SSD.

Whether you choose to reinstall or clone your drive with CCC, when after you boot up the SSD for the first time, be sure to go to System Preference—>Startup Volume, and then choose the new drive as the default boot up disk. If you don't do this, your boot time may be significantly lengthened as the computer will search for the original HDD every time during boot.

4. dmorgan macrumors member

My MBP fell off the bed a few months ago and the HDD makes the same sound. It's very quiet, and different from the motion sensor sound that you sometimes hear.

I took it to the Apple store a while back for another issue and they said the hard drive seemed fine. I'm still backing everything up frequently though.

5. view2darrel thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the input jclardy and alphaod

ive search a bit and some say check the sound it comes from.

possible sound may came to optical drive , fan and HDD. i believe in comes from either HDD or Optical Drive since the sounc comes from right infront side. which actually point to HDD. will try to get my ears where it comes from.

also thanks to the SSD suggestions. about the samsung. can i update it ob mac os? like the crucial m4? it may be a hassle updating it on windows pc.

at dmorgan - your hdd seems fine? what is the cause of the sound? hope we'll hear from you soon

6. view2darrel thread starter macrumors member

i observe my machine and it comes from the HDD. right side infront when using the laptop.

im planning to get the crucial m4 by nextweek. will post if everything went fine

7. view2darrel thread starter macrumors member

i change my HDD to SSD and no more dripping water sound. thanks for all who help me. requesting for thread closure. thanks again.