MBP Water Sensor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lonesoul, Mar 15, 2008.

1. lonesoul macrumors newbie

I was wondering how sensitive the Water Sensor is on the mbp? i had a tiny droplet of water spilled right on top of the headphone jack(Speaker area) well i wiped it off and some of it might have gone down to the hp jack. Well i know for certain 1lil droplet its not going to break the laptop but in the future if anything happens to the mbp and i want to get it serviced by apple, they might give me a hard time

Anyhow, how do you tell whether the water sensor has been activated/changed its color?

thanks in adv

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

wheres the water sensor?

you sure youre not confused with the water sensor in the iphone headphone socket?

3. lonesoul thread starter macrumors newbie

i read somewhere the mbp had a water sensor in the headphone jack, maybe i got it confused like u said :eek: i dunno but anyway if not i should not be worried then :D

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hahaha ive never heard of the water sensor in the mbp.. besides whats it gonna do when it detects water??? shut itself off and close the flood gates?? :p:rolleyes::cool:

5. Maccleduff macrumors regular

The water sensor changes colour or somthing so that when Mac geniuses open it up they can see that there has been water damage. However I m not sure where exactly it is/

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ohhh ok i see. so this water sensor doesnt actually do anything mechanically, it will just detect just incase..

hhmm never heard of that b4, sounds pretty apple like though

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I think you guys are confusing the water sensor with this thread where a water sensor is placed in the head phone jack in the iPhone. It makes no sense whatsoever to build the MBP with a water sensor since it's so big it will only show if you drop it in the ocean.
    The water sensor in phones and small electronics is due to the difficulty in opening up the phones. If they can see it has been exposed to water, they can save huge amounts of time.

There are other ways to check if there has been water damage on the mbp. For instance by looking for mineral leftovers.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This image brought to mind the scenario where someone was using their MBP in the bathtub and dropped it.

On a serious note, I am pretty sure that the MBP does not have a water sensor and that the OP is thinking about the iPhone.

9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you guys missed the BTO portion where you can have your MBP in full SCUBA attire!
    it's an additional $ 800..
    maybe that's why nobody have it yet..
    but yet.. you can check your e mail while diving or snorkling?
    isn't that great? always updated with macrumors:D

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I missed that part. It must have been on the second page. ;)

11. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Comes with an Apple snorkel too :p

12. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Apple took the snorkel out with the latest Penryn revision. Snorkel is sold separately for another $19 now.

13. sjb macrumors regular

LOL! MacBook Scuba -- Coming June 2008.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They gotta put out something to compete in the abusive environment market with the lifes of the new Dell and those Toughbooks.:p

15. frostrambler macrumors member

My bad guys, this is my fault. I originally made a post a few days ago about the water sensor in the headphone jack in the mbp, the rest of my post made sense, and some people confirmed what I was saying, so the only wrong part was that the MBP does not have the sensor there, I confused it with the iPhone. People took my post for gospel and now it seems to be spreading, whoops :(

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

new patent by apple, iSnorkel :p

17. kolax macrumors G3

It is found in a lot of electrical devices - mobile phones being the main one.

Lets the manufacture know whether it was water that caused the damage and whether or not it is covered by the guarantee.

18. RatSalad macrumors member

When my friend dropped her cell phone in the tiolet at a bar, she tried to return the phone(personally I would have left it) and they said the phone showed water damage do to the change on the color of a specific part.