MBP+water, the inevitable has happened..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cluthz, Sep 27, 2009.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

After nearly twenty years of laptop usage I spilled water on my MBP.
    I was in a hurry when placing my MBP on my desk and I managed to tip a glass of water on it. This was two day ago.
    The MBP was lucky closed, but there was some water that came in the the fan vents in the back.

I did immediately remove the battery and let the computer dry 24 hrs.
    When I booted up the computer last night (after let it dry) it worked great for 5 mins and then it just hibernated.

Then the panic came :( I probably should have let it dry for one more day, but I had work to do!

I did pick the computer apart, but couldn't find any signs of water.
    It's been lying on my desk now for 24 more hours, but I'm not sure how much longer I should wait before I assemble it again.

Well well, it's served me amazingly for 28 months now, so I guess it won't be a disaster to replace it. But a $2000 less money isn't what I really need this month :/

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'd give it another day just to be sure. After that, all the water should be completely dry.

3. vant macrumors 65816

Sounds like you killed it.

The proper procedure is to place the laptop with some rice and keep it there for at LEAST a 72 hours to be on the safe side.

There is unfortunately nothing you can do at this point to revive it. You could try the method above as a last resort but it sounds like the damage has already been done.

4. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

I took all the logicbord out and blew ~50°C hot air on it for about 6 hrs now.
    Assembled it and it works like a charm.

I just read the logs and something called com.appleHWSensor did shut my computer down apparently.

Seems like no damage done at all!
    There are no traces of liquid on the logicboard as far as I can tell, so I guess I've been really lucky.

I guess I'll get some sort of insurance for accidentally damage tomorrow, since it sounds like a good idea after recent events :D

5. Hermolicious84 macrumors member

I feel that "inevitable" is the wrong word in this situation. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary's definition of the word is: "incapable of being avoided or evaded". I don't think that applies here, since you could have just KEPT WATER AWAY FROM YOUR LAPTOP.

Am I right?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like you dodges a bullet. Hopefully you'll get some "lessons learned" and not have a glass of water (or what ever) near your laptop.

I make sure that nothing is near my laptop, plus its on an enermax laptop cooler which not only helps keep it cool, but raises it off the desk so this also minimizes the risk of damage.

7. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

:)

I guess I did! I always uses my MBP in a MacAlly iceStation which will make it pretty spill safe and keep it cool :D

I've had it running for 8 hrs already today so I guess it survived!

8. Bigabouli macrumors member

You're lucky it was just water, any soft drink and then you'd be in trouble :p