MBP WD Scorpio Black Load Cycle Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Can Inelli, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Can Inelli macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Today I installed my new hard drive. Western Digital Scorpio Black 750 GB 7200 RPM . The Power On time is 5 hours and Load Cycle is 260 cycles. I guess that is too much load cycle for 5 hours and it is not normal ? I don't want my hard drive dying in 1 year. What do you guys recommend ?

By the way how can I check if the motion sensor is working ? I dont hear any sound while moving the mbp. ( I already checked from Terminal, Apple's SuddenMotionSensor is ON. )

Thanks a lot for the help,

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

More than likely it has more load cycles because you had to put a lot of data on it at once. BTW, you can expect 300,000 load cycles or so before failure.

3. Can Inelli thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I cloned my old hard drive which was around 200gbs. However I'm still not sure if this is normal. I guess I have to look at the average after 100 hours let's say ? Or what would you guys suggest ?

4. Can Inelli thread starter macrumors member

For the last 10 hours it has increased by 800 cycles ! and I was sleeping so I haven't used it during these 10 hours. The temp is 33 degrees. What do you suggest me to do ? This is not normal . If it continues like this my drive will die in 1 year :mad:

5. rekhyt macrumors 65816

... o.0 How would you check the load cycle of a hard drive?

6. Can Inelli thread starter macrumors member

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Western dig drives are renowned for doing this, due to aggressive power management. Only way to stop it is to use hdparm to set a less aggressive management every boot in a script.

8. Can Inelli thread starter macrumors member

I tried using hdparm and it works . But what about the protection of the drive ? When I use hdparm will the motion sensor stop working ?

9. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Anything to do with motion sensor protection, either the drives own, or the sytems, Should be independant. Ie, the system will specifically tell the drive to go to sleep, or the drive will notice the g-shock and act to protect itself.
    Neither of these is a power management action of the drive itself.

10. Can Inelli thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot . Then I think I will install hdparm again. However I have one more question. When I move my laptop I don't hear the hard drive locking itself for protection. I could hear in my old Hitachi but in this I can't. Is there a way to check if the protection thing is working ? (New HD's G protection thing doesnt show up in SMART Utility, but my old harddrive's shows up in SMART utility)

11. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

That I can't answer I'm afraid, I'm sure there probably is some way. I'd assume that such an incident should effect the load count stat too? But I'm not sure, but that may be a way of telling, only guessing though.

12. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    hi , hows the drive perform ?
    im interested in this hd as well as my old wd scorpio blue 640GB is very slow on my 2010 MBP.
    im thinkin about this wd scorpio black 750 GB or seagate momentus XT 500 gb

13. Can Inelli thread starter macrumors member

It is very fast and quiet. I can recommend you to buy it . I installed hdapm and now it stopped loading and unloading every 10 seconds. I guess that loading issue has nothing to do with the hard drive it depends on os x power management I think.

14. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    Can Inelli,
    Hi i just bought the drive
    Planning to start a fresh so i just took out my previous hd and put it in external enclosure, then i put the new wdc 750 gb 7200rpm in.
    Now its being formated (extended journaled) and zero out data, later on i planned to attach the old disk through usb to get the data(music,pic,video,etc) while for the software i installing new one .

Any tips you want to give me ?
    And how do i know wheter ir not i need to use hdpm like u do or not?

Sorry for troibling you, thank you very much.

15. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

I have ordered a WD Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT, too.

One question: is it necessary to disable Sudden Motion Sensor in OS X or not?

I have a Scorpio Black 320 Gb that doesn't have the "free fall sensor", it's the WD3200BEKT (only BJKT has it). But I can't find anywhere in WD7500BPKT specs if it has it or not. Anyone knows?

16. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Some Scorpio Blacks have a built in sensor and it is necessary to disable the Sudden Motion Sensor or else they will conflict and cause kernel panics.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1934

Unfortunately (or fortunately in certain circumstances), your's seem to be one of them

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/AAG/ENG/2178-771118.pdf

EDIT: Forget the link above. The BEKT is listed on the same page so I have no idea. Stupid Western Digital, I'm trying to invest in a drive that has a motion sensor :p

17. bcaslis macrumors 68020

How does the drive compare to the stock drive in terms of noise and vibration?

18. axu539 macrumors 6502a

My 1 TB Scorpio Blue did this in my old machine too, and made really soft click noises (not the click of death which I have also encountered before). I did a lot of research and found that other brands seem to do this too. The way OS X works causes the head to park and load constantly with hard drive power management firmware. Apparently all the HDDs that Apple ships in their machines have slightly tweaked firmware to combat this. I ultimately solved the problem by using HDAPM and just turning my HDD up to max at all times. Battery life took a little hit, but at least my HDD wasn't constantly walking toward its own death.

19. hzxu macrumors regular

I am also think of buying this HDD, and since all HDDs I used have LCC increasing too fast(for Hitachi ones, there is an official tool called Feature Tools which can set APM level in firmware, in order to make it not LCC too fast), so I did a bit of research and found that someone wrote letters to Fujitsu's engineer about this issue and got replies from them:

And he concluded:

20. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Can someone point to me on where to obtain/use hdparm? Googling I come up with many linux results and the download has a bunch of files in it. Is it an application that can be run or exactly how does it work? I just installed the 750GB WD Black and I have like 4,000 load cycles on 53 hours haha... so I'm kind of curious on using the hdparm.

21. 100Teraflops, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I am interested too, as I installed the same drive 7 hours ago. :) Now to find the information you are referring too.

EDIT: I read a thread from Apple support and people were saying if you adjust "head parks," then battery life may be affected. Some dude has 3 million plus load cycles on his 3 year old MBP. Is this the exception or the rule?

EDIT THE EDIT: I reread a post above mine, cool!

22. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

try this link bro, http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/

It took about 3 second to download. LOL the home page is out the ordinary, so if you see this, then it is normal. :)

23. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

thanks actually I have been messing with that for the past hour... I just installed a 320GB black on my GF's macbook and got the hdapm working fine and tested via terminal with hdapm disk0 max blah blah success.

as for me, my WD 750GB is on my disk1
    terminal test shows:

Jonathan$ hdapm disk1 max
    disk1: WDC WD7500BPKT-00PK4T0
    Setting APM level to 0xfe: FAILED

cannot get hdapm to work.. my drive is at 4200 load cycles now since hahah and I can hear the little clicks.. hmmmm annoying

I used some sudo cp commands to get the files to the appropriate folders (which happens to be on the ssd) if that matters or not. My vertex 2 is disk0 while my 750GB is disk1. I've edited the plist to disk1 also... does it matter if I h ave bootcamp on disk1? My mac partition is disk1s2

Followed some of this guy's directions: http://discussions.info.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10291059

24. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

What I want to know is if the load cycles is a real concern or are we paranoid? I will run a test as I have the same drive. My drive clicks and it is always active, unlike the stock 750 GB Toshiba 5400 HDD. Also, I repaired disk permissions, as my boot up time decreased 3 fold since I installed the 750 GB WD.

EDIT: I am testing the battery life for the first time with the WD HDD. If I do not like this drive, then I will not hesitate to reinstall the stock HDD and use this drive as a scratch disk etc...

25. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I also had the load cycle problem with my WD Scorpio Blue 1 TB. Within 2 days, it'd gotten up to something like 5000 load cycles. I installed hdapm and everything was fine. It's just WD's power management not playing nice with OS X. I've also heard of this issue with other brands, so I think it's just that Apple uses custom firmware for its own drives, to prevent these unnecessary load cycles.