MBP wear and tear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom Foolery, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

so i have a question or two about my mbp. how long is it ok for me to leave it on, is there a point where is gets to hot and is nessicary to turn it off

and what about greasy hands. i never have really greasy hands when i use my mbp obviously but do i need to worry about normal sweat and stuff ruining the mbp

i know these questions may seem a little paranoid but i want to protect and take good care of the computer that i spent so much on
    thanks

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

you can keep the mbp on as long as you wish and it should not explode or melt. as for wear and tear, it will occur at some point. for protection, i suggest you get the following:

- clear speck see through case
    - moshi palm guard
    - iskin

if you buy all of the above, i can guarantee you that your mbp will be in pristine condition for a longggg time.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You shouldn't have to worry about it too much just clean it when it gets dirty as for heat there designed to take it they can stay on as long as you want it too.

4. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

The fact that the bottom of your MBP gets hot is a sign that its dissapating heat away from the machine properly. Don't worry about it.

5. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Mine survived being left on for a hour or two inside of a case and got oven hot. It appears to be none the worse for wear, so I wouldn't worry much about i getting too hot.

Just make sure the vents (along the back edge of the MBP) aren't blocked and you should be fine.

[quit]
    and what about greasy hands. i never have really greasy hands when i use my mbp obviously but do i need to worry about normal sweat and stuff ruining the mbp[/quit]

The worst case I've seen is the oil from some (but not all) users' hands can be somewhat corrosive to the finish on the keys. An iskin keyboard cover should protect against this.

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

The uptime on my MBP right now 2 weeks, 4days, and 12hours- and it has been performing flawlessly.

As other have said, leaving the MBP on will not cause any problems. Although you may want to restart it once in a while to clear off the RAM when things start to slow.

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

A simple "Log Out" will suffice.