MBP: What screen size do you prefer and why? (price not being a concern).

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jun 18, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

What screen size do you prefer and why? (price not being a concern).

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Bigger is better. I want a ginormous 30" Macbook Pro.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure you can easily throw out the pricing factor but aside from that, I like both the 13" and the 15" I opted for the 15" because at the time (last october) it provided the best bang for my buck. Dual GPU, better screen, firewire larger L2 cache, and more vram. Now that I see how well the 9400m runs (and how hot the 9600 runs) I could have easily gotten away with the 13" model. Especially now since apple re-added the firewire port into the machine.

I love the form factor of the 13" but I think the 15" offered a better deal even if it was 1,000 more then the then unibody MacBook.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Right now, I've got a Dell 2208WFP. It runs at 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz. I like it. But something bigger, like a 30'', would be my first pick if I had the money.

If money were no object, I'd get the biggest Eizo I could find. No, actually, I'd get five of them :cool:.

But you mention the MBP. I took a look at the 17'' and it was way too big. I like the 15'', but I'd prefer a higher resolution.

5. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Yea, 13" has become so popular in the past year or so it seems. 15" has been the standard for a long time.

Still when you walk into a Best Buy you see walls of 15" notebooks.

Maybe people are liking smaller whether its for travel or even surfing around the house they're easier to manage, plus most peope have external monitors now so a bigger screen is there when you need it...

6. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

15 on the desk/sofa/bed

13 on the road ( fits vehicle use a tad better )

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

For a laptop to travel, 13". If it was sitting on desk all the time, then 17".

9. Redgiemental macrumors newbie

!3" is perfect

I think the 13" screen just right.

I travel with it quite regularly and its perfect for carrying around.

It's just big enough for regular use I find.

10. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

If one were going to college soon, do you fellas would the 15 inch computer be too big to carry around efficiently or would it be fine? I like the 15 inch MBP I have but maybe the 13 inch one might be a better fit for me. I don't really have a firm preference of 15 over 13 or vice versa now lol

11. Yesterday macrumors member

for general purposes, the 13" fits the bill.

it's small enough to fit into most bags.

smaller size makes it less susceptible to damages due to the size and weight of larger mbp.

13" screen seems perfect for most application i've used, which includes ms office 08, ilife, internet browsers, mail, etc. i could use a larger screen for remote connection because of the lower resolution of a 13" screen makes it harder for me to use ms access 07.

laptops should be used for its portability, so you might as well use the saved money on a good desktop computer if you need a larger screen.

12. donbadman macrumors regular

17" - it's all about the extra working pixels for me, and compared to the 15" I'm not noticing any extra weight.

13. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I've had or have a 13" unibody MacBook, a 15" unibody MacBook Pro, and a 17" PowerBook.

The 15" is juuuuuuuust right.

14. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

13". My Timbuk2 bag that I've had for 6 years only fits 13" computers.

15. MacRumorsReader macrumors member

MacRumorsReader

I've had a 12" PowerBook, a 15" MacBook Pro and now a 17" MacBook Pro.

... I really like the 17". Especially considering the overall size hasn't changed significantly: An inch here, a couple of inches there and a pound in weight. It's all good.

16. ///M5 macrumors 6502

+1

17. m85476585 macrumors 65816

As my only computer, I would want a 15". 17" is too big, and the screen on the 13" is just too small to use all day. As a secondary computer (which it will have to be if Apple keeps removing features), I would want a 13" since it is more portable, and I would use my primary computer (a Desktop with a large, 22-24", LCD) to get work done.

When I bought my 15" MBP, I almost bought a 13" MB, which would have been about $700 cheaper and just as fast except for the video card. Then I would have put the $700 into upgrades and an LCD for my desktop. Then I would have used the Desktop for computationally intensive work like Matlab (since I would have put in a fast CPU), video editing (because the Desktop can access large disks quickly while an eSATA lacking macbook can't), and gaming (because the desktop would have a real video card).

I ended up getting the 15" and used it as my only computer all last year in college. The screen size was never too small, and it is portable enough. It couldn't do everything, though, since virtual Windows is too slow, and I had to reboot to play any games, so this year I am going to upgrade my desktop on the cheap and have the best of both worlds, except for portability.

18. lazydesi macrumors 6502

13inch 2.53ghz with 256SSD,8GBRAM

After using 13inch White MB for 3 years,I recently brought refurb 15inch model and returned it to apple after 4day use :reason the screen in too big for me and I want portability

Now I ordered 13inch MBP and waiting for the shipment

19. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I really love the 15", but I would kill to get a 17". 17" is amazing.

20. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

15", 13 is nice for travel, but I like the extra screen size and GPU power for everyday use. Price not being a concern, the 17 is a good choice too, but Its a bit to big to carry around for classes every day, also i'd have to buy new bags.

21. cni2i macrumors member

I chose the 17" b/c I use it primarily as a desktop (85% desktop and 15% travel). The 15" just seem a little too small for me as a primary desktop. Sure, you can drop $800 or so for the cinema 24" monitor...but for me, that's too big for my work space. Hence, the 17" was perfect for me. As for weight, I honestly don't think it's that much heavier than the 15". And since I don't carry it around very much, I went for the 17".

Now, if I was to carry it around 85% for the time, then I would go with the 13" MBP. IMO, the 15" is just stuck somewhere in the middle...a little too small for a desktop, and a little to heavy as a mobile unit (IF carried around a lot).