MBP: What to expect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tharris0101, Oct 28, 2010.

1. tharris0101 macrumors member

As my new 15" i7 is about to be delivered today, I'd like to see if you guys have some answers to some questions as far as what to expect.

1: Heat problems. My current apple laptop is a 2006 white 2ghz Macbook. From day one the heat problems were horrible. It would consistently drop the CPU speed down to half after an hour or so of anything graphics intensive. This was a wide spread problem back at the time (I remember logging into macrumors and reading about all of the people having the exact same issue). What can I expect from my new MBP? I don't care how hot it gets as long as it doesn't get so hot it starts clocking itself down.

2: Apple Care. When I bought the aforementioned Macbook in '06, I was amazed at the quality of the warranty. I only had to use it twice in 3 years, but they went above and beyond. Once, the Superdrive died so they replaced that, but also replaced the entire case because it had started to crack (a wear and tear issue. I traveled a lot with that laptop). Months later the screen started having a weird blue line through the middle of it and the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore... Both replaced free of charge.

Now I am hearing reports of Apple giving grief over screen and battery issues. Stories of Apple claiming damage and not replacing things. Reports of rude employees at the Apple Store/Genius Bar. Am I just hearing the vocal minority or is Apple Care not what it used to be?

3: Floppy Screens. It may not seem like a big deal, but its pretty annoying when the screen hinges start getting worn out. The old Powerbooks were horrible at this. The '06 Macbook I had was better but not great. Has anyone had problems with their screen hinges wearing out and the screen becoming loose? I remember an old Powerbook I had, I would actually have to prop something up behind the screen in order to keep it upright.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I have the 17" i7 MBP and the heat isn't too bad. It's a bit better than my 3 year old 17 Santa Rosa MBP. I haven't seen any noticeable performance throttling when the bottom gets warm. I've been very happy with its performance. And I keep the nvidia card active all the time instead of graphic card switching.

I haven't had a need to use Apple Care so I can't speak to that.

My old MBP 17 has no issues with the monitor-lid and the new one works just fine.