MBP - What To Get (i5 vs i7, 4GB vs 8, etc.)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 064629009, Apr 13, 2010.

1. 064629009 macrumors member

Now that the MBPs have been updated (finally) i'm looking at getting an i5 or i7 15 inch (my first mac). I'm leaning towards the i7, though, with the standard 4GB of ram.

1. Should I get an i5 with 8GB of ram instead of 4GB maybe? Or if I get the i7, can I easily put in cheaper 3rd party ram (if I find that I need it)?

2. Is the 7200 rpm ATA Drive better than the 5400? Is it worth the $50?

3. Should I get AppleCare? I've heard some mixed opinions about this.

I'd be using the laptop for internet, music, Photoshop (Illustrator, Painter, etc.), video editing and maybe some gaming. And if it makes a difference, I want the laptop to last me 4-5 years (or more? I don't think that's likely though, is it?).

Thanks

2. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

Based on what info you provided...

1. Buy the processor you want then buy the additional 3rd party RAM yourself and install for a cheaper price.

2. Yes

3. Yes, but something you can save up for an don't need right away. Make sure you buy it before the end of the first year.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If you're wanting to keep it that long, concentrate on the things you CANNOT upgrade yourself. CPU, GPU, Display. HDD and RAM can be upgraded at a later date if you feel its needed.

4. 064629009 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. A question about upgrading the ram myself: Won't it void the warranty?

5. theTechnician macrumors member

Nope. The ram modules are easily accessed by removing 8 or so screws from the bottom casing of the computer. As far as I know, you can only replace the ram, and the hdd without voiding the warranty. Anything else is at your own volition.

(Correct me if I'm wrong?)