MBP - which config!!??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mastamarek, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Mastamarek macrumors regular

Mastamarek

Ok so I cant make up my mind.
    I ve just sold my PC and I have $2000 to spent on my new MBP. I just cant make up my mind on which config to go with. I would really like to get the machine now and I m reading that there is a pretty big waiting period for the 17' ones. I ll be doing video and photo editing in FCP and Adobe. I really really love that 17' screen which would fit my needs perfectly but I do need to spend extra $$ to get the 17' version.

So what do u think!??

Save the extra $$ and go with the 15.4' one or wait for the 17'!??

Also which config to go with!?

1) Standard MBP 15.4' for $2000

2) MBP 17' 2.66Ghz, 4Gb, 128GB SSD - $3050

3) MBP 17' 2.92Ghz, 4Gb, 320 7200rpm - $2914

or maybe go all out for 17' MBP, 2.93Ghz and either 8Gb or 128Gb SSD drive - over $3k

Now I can spend that much money but in those hard times nowadays I really dont wanna have the best of everything anymore so do I really need all that extra stuff!?? Again I do a lot of video editing and Adobe but I dont use HD yet and all my adobe files are max 40Mb a picture so they re really not that huge either.

So I need to your advice as I want to make a good and a smart purchase and not just go all out this time :)
    Thanks
    Marek

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

As they say 'if you have to ask, you don't need it'. The base 15" will serve you well, save you money and offer greater portability.

Personally I still don't think the SSDs are worth it yet. Although the prices are starting to get aggressive. I recommend waiting until the 256GB drives are a decent price, then upgrading.

As for the third configuration. If you need it, hell go for it. You'll have a powerhouse on your lap. As well as being the envy of laptop owners everywhere. :)

3. Mastamarek thread starter macrumors regular

Mastamarek

thx for the reply. Well I dont probably need it as u said but I know I will notice all those upgrades in my usage. Faster CPu, Faster Hdd will benefit me greatly in rendering video files. I just dont know if its still worth all that extra $$. i just looked at apple website and they offer a very tempting $999 MBA. so If i go for the regular 15.4' MBP and the $999 MBA I can have two laptops for the price of one and I dont think this setup will be inferior to the 17' MBP in any ultra significant way. u re gonna get like 90% power of the 17' model with a free MBA, pretty much. I do like that 17' LED screen though - a dream for people who use adobe :) ok anyway ... I wanna hear more of your opinions ... keep em coming.

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I was walking across campus the other day and my shoulder was kind of tired. I thought to myself, wow.. good thing I didn't buy the 17"!

5. Mastamarek thread starter macrumors regular

Mastamarek

That 15.4 has only 1440x900 though .... anyone uses final cut on this baby!?? feel free to share your thoughts.