MBP Which LCD MONITOR

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iguess25, Jun 21, 2008.

1. iguess25 macrumors regular

Which LCD MONITOR Should i buy for my MBP?
    I was looking at samsung..

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

It depends on what you need it for. Samsung is a decent brand, but they make several models in various sizes.

If you're planning on doing print work/graphics, and color reproduction accuracy is a concern, you would do well to look at an Apple monitor, or a higher end Dell, as both are favored for these tasks.

If you're not worried about these things, then you can save a nice chunk of money, and get a TN panel by Samsung, Dell, etc. A 24" widescreen is nice. Perhaps you can give more information about your needs?

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Agreed, and thank you so much digitalnicotine for not automatically saying that the Apple panels are crazy :eek: expensive.

TV watching, games, general work = anything
    Print work, color specific/accurate = IPS panel (Apple, 30" Dell, LaCie)

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Tip for when you go to the store - most of the time they'll have 20 monitors running off of one box and their resolutions will be set to anything BUT their native resolutions so pretty much all the screens look like garbage when on display at the store...

I've heard good things about Samsung. LG monitors come with a 5 year warranty which is great.

For professional work, or if you value design a lot, the Apple displays are beautiful and have been well received, but as DigitalSkunk mentioned, they are pricey. But so are any high end displays, so you get what you pay for :)

Tell us what you need it for and you'll get some more to the point answers.

5. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm

Im just using for my dj equipment and music production work.. May get into graphic/design stuff later.. what you think???

6. jonnos macrumors regular

nec 2490 uses h-ips pane newer ips technology.
    if u dont want to spend too much the benq fp241w uses a p-mva which i would prefer than a s-pva dell (2007, 2407/8, 2707/9) and samsung uses this panel. the 30" dell uses ips.

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You could get away with using anything then really.

Jonnos gave some good examples, and you could go for the Samsungs if you know that you won't be worried about accurate color and all.

8. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Some of the lower-end Dell montiors look like garbage. I know, because I have one of the cheap 17" ones.

Anyway, if you really want a nice monitor, I know that my Sharp Aquos has a monitor port on the back. I've hooked up to it a few times. Really nice. But, then again, unless it's for media, you don't need a 52" monitor :rolleyes: :apple:

9. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

cool jonos.. lll check it out. any certain ones recomended?

10. hoangcong macrumors member

Any good lcd below the 300$ mark?
    I am poor at the moment but i need a 20' lcd as i work with big 500mb photoshop files atm.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

At that price point anything you can find will do. There are some good deals at www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com

12. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

which one out the 3

Samsung 2232GW
    Dell SP2208WFP
    Samsung SyncMaster T220
    ?

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If the Samsungs aren't noticeably cheaper, I say go for the Dell. I had a quick glance at the three and the Dell just looks better IMHO.

At $300, there isn't any reason why you shouldn't unless the Samsungs are cheaper, or offer slightly better monitors.

14. TSE macrumors 68030

I got a 22" Samsung from bestbuy for $280 and bought a three year warranty on it for $45.

I don't need color accuracy, so this monitor is wonderful.

15. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

Right now its
    dell or samng 2232 then the syncmaster

16. TSE macrumors 68030

The Samsung 2232 is the one I have, and it is great. If you don't need exact color accuracy, definitely buy it.

17. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

Tse

If Iwas expecting color accuracy I would buy a apple cinema display? correct? so whether dell or smsg dont expect color accuracy?

18. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

Also I just go dvi from my mbp to dvi monitor in to hook it up to get picture?

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I think it is worth remembering here that by "colour accuracy" the people really mean something which is in-depth to a great level. It's not like the lower priced Samsung monitors will display green as red or anything, but the Apple displays will show a truer shade of each colour.

That said, if you're doing graphic design it's unlikely the people you're designing for are going to be viewing your content on a high end panel.

Apple's displays are for professionals. If you aren't a professional visual designer, you will be paying for something you don't need. Also note that the Apple displays have a much higher response rate than other, cheaper panels on the market.

20. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Yep, you'll need a DVI cable to hook between monitor and MBP.

21. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

The Apple 23" and 30" displays also use H-IPS. The 20" use S-IPS.

22. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

23. jonnos macrumors regular

they dont use h-ips?

they all use s-ips 20,23 and 30 apple displays.

if you check out www.tftcentral.co.uk and do a search on the monitor model your looking at. it should provide you information on what panel it is using.

im not quite sure how often that information is updated though so not all displays will be on there.

if you want colour accuracy the apple displays are fine. there are better any newer technology out there now though.

nec 2490 uses h-ips which is the latest ips technology out there.
    also their nec 2690 and 3090 use h-ips with a higher gamut.

benq fp241w uses p-mva which is decent for graphics work and all round things. the dell 2408 2709 uses s-pva which is decent too. the dell 3008 uses s-ips. all these dells i mentioned have higher gamut also.

VA panels are not as great as the ips panels since their viewing angle isnt as good.

all the 22" displays you mentioned use TN panels which wouldnt be good for graphics work. last ive read there are only TN panels in the 22" displays.

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

They used to, but they were updated in 06 AFAIK to get rid of the pink issues that the 23" had and the GFX card lockups with the 30"

This site is updated a bit more frequently, and where I get a good deal of comparison info from.

25. jonnos macrumors regular

last i checked there wernt any 23" h-ips panels?

wouldnt the apple website have similar tech specs to the current h-ips panels out now? like a way fast ms and higher gamut?

im sure they all still use s-ips panels.