MBP wifi acting buggy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oplix, Feb 9, 2011.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Recently i've been having to turn off and back on my MBP's wifi because the connection would just cut out. Anyone know a possible solution or a reason for this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably a problem with your router; either it is actually not broadcasting altogether periodically for whatever reason, your ISP disconnects your service temporarily, or your Mac's wireless card/antenna is having trouble finding the signal.

How far away from your router are you when this happens?
    How often does it happen?
    What kind of router is it?
    What frequency or wireless standard are you using (a/b/g/n)?
    Does your router have ethernet ports? Does it drop the connection if you are plugged into an ethernet port?

3. stevemiller macrumors 65816

based on my own experiences, many macbook pros are finicky when it comes to wireless routers. they'll work well with some and not others.

while it's tempting to say "it must be a junk router," the mbp will often be the *only* device that can't connect to it. moreover, several times it's happened to me that the problem will suddenly go away (after some weeks/months of frustration) without having modified the router or mbp networking settings.

i kinda suspect osx updates might be the culprit; the problem seemingly got better on my home network around 10.6.4, but then started up at work just after 10.6.6.

4. Suanmiao macrumors member

it happens on my mid 2010 15" too. it's pretty random but it only seems to happen around my house.
    I believe it's my router.

5. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

I don't believe this is a router issue. It never happens when I have Windows 7 booted. Only on OSX.

6. PinkLuxe macrumors member

This exact thing started happening to me about a week and a half ago. I can't remember when I did the last update. Glad to know I'm not alone and it's seemingly out of the blue. I've never had this problem before, and nothing with my router has changed. It's extremely annoying though.

7. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

If you get it figured out, please let me know.

8. Suanmiao macrumors member

possible solution

I've had trouble connecting to my router after my mbp wakes up from sleep since I got it. Last week I come to a post saying it might be your Keychain that's acting up.
    All I did was firing up Keychain Access and search for the network name which you are having trouble connecting to, and delete those (sometimes there are more than one), then repair permission under disk utility, then reboot, and reenter your password and connect to your wifi network.
    never had any problem since then... hope that helps