MBP - Wifi disconnections

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uncleiven, Nov 8, 2009.

1. uncleiven macrumors regular

uncleiven

I have got a brand new MBP, literally a few days old and I am already having issues with my wifi connection through the Air Port. I know there are already plenty of threads on here pointing out similar issues but I just what to know is going on and what the story is!

Mine has a connection for say several hours with no problems then it will suddenly loose the connection and then re-connect after about 10-20 seconds. Now my router is ok as my iPhone still has a connection and my pc and xbox are also fine as the are connected via ethernet, so the issues surely lies with the MBP, quite disappointing tbh :(...

Thanks

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Probably interference. If you are using a wireless-g router especially, are you? Then when you or someone uses a microwave, a cordless phone or something it could make it cut out. My apartments have a g+n router even, and when I microwave a lean cuisine ... or whatever, it will cut out. Gotta change channels. If that is your case.
    Now.. you say your connection is good for several hours... that is good. Nice. Just "join networks automatically in your network preferences, and set your home network to the top of the preferred list"
    easy as pie. If you have torrent programs running (the only reason i could fathom why you would gripe about losing connection after hours), they will reconnect to their seeds when you rejoin the network.
    So you really don't have a problem.

3. uncleiven thread starter macrumors regular

uncleiven

I am using a Netgear DG834GT and it is set for both g and b. Well if it was interference then wouldn't it affect my iphone at the same time as-well?

I know its not a "major" problem, its just more annoying than anything as I cant really understand why it is dropping out?

I think I will keep my eye on it and see how things go. I juts though there was more of a known issue on the MBP's.

Thanks

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Throw something in your microwave, a glass of water perhaps, for 3 minutes. Also get on your cordless phone and sit by your computer. See if they affect the bars in the top right of your airport monitor.

5. uncleiven thread starter macrumors regular

uncleiven

Well my microwave is all the way downstairs and my router and my mbp are upstairs.

I will have a little experiment later lol :)

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Good luck though, either way. I wouldn't worry about it too much though if you have a strong connection for a few hours. I wish I did! My apartments suck! There are like 300 units, like 3 routers and I think they are all in the managers office. Which is down 1 floor and over like 5 apartments. Needless to say there are a few walls to go through, and I am still kinda close. But microwaves in any of those apartments will mess with my signal and even degrade it to the point of disconnection.

I hate it when they cook.