MBP wifi signal - inconsistent, fixes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. aoaaron, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2011

aoaaron macrumors 6502

My MBP's wifi is annoying now. 2011 model. Most of the time, its 4 bars but sometimes, its really rubbish (2 bars). Sometimes it hangs on 3 bars. It'll connect at full, and then drop.

Now what are my solutions? Would an airport express help?

My router = BTHomehub 2.0 - i know not brilliant, is this the source of my problems? I'm unsure since everything works wonderfully on my sisters Imac, my dad's very old macbook. It definitley could be though...

My router is situated downstairs. Would an airport express or an airport base resolve any issues via repeating the signal?

either something is funamentally wrong with the MBP or there is some type of fix/compromise I can come to. I've gone through plenty of wireless channels, no help on my router.

2. Nextitsolutions macrumors newbie

Wi-fi

I came across this issue at an adult learning centre recently, in the end it was a return to Apple issue, however try connecting to another known good wireless network, if you connect fine then possibly a router issue. BT home hubs do have some screwed up settings, maybe update the router firmware.

Hope this helps

3. TheStew macrumors member

I got a MBP 2011 15". My network dropped frequently too, I have a D-Link router. My other laptops never had this problem. I changed my network settings; I gave my MBP a static IP and never had problems again.

Go to network preferences -> advanced -> TCP/IP
    Using DHCP whith manual address.
    Pv4 Address: <yourstaticip>

<yourstaticip> should be the ip of your router (displayed in the same window) with an other last number (between 1 - 256).

Ex: routerip: 192.168.0.1
    <yourstaticip>: 192.168.0.13

Give it a shot, if it doesnt work you can change it back to normal.

You can also check your security. Some people had succes changing it from WEP to WPA (or something like this, you'll find it easily on google)

Hope this helps.

4. tekkietekkie macrumors member

there is a massive thread under the lion section of apple about WIFI problems

my wifi works like crap since installing lion, I called apple who was useless with the problem

it seems the real issue is with different routers and I hope they fix it soon because mine only works at a max of 1.2Mbs :(